Bantam Gears

martin 305

Hi all doing a bantam engine and I cant remember what gears I swop from mainshaft to lay shaft :dunce: I think its main shaft 3rd with lay shaft 2nd the ones fixed with the circlip not the sliding gears . I wrote down the number of teeth 26 to22 and 25 to 21 but cant remember if its the fixed or sliding gears :wall: . Many thanks Martin :icon_salut:

Martin, take a picture or do a drawing before you start - its very easy but if you're like me you'll end up confusing yourself half way through!!!

Basically you move the 3rd layshaft gear to the mainshaft in place of the 2nd gear and vica versa.

Remember that the gears that mate originally (i.e. the 3rd gear pair and the 2nd gear pair) will still mate when you're done - its just that youve moved them to the opposite shaft and moved position.

hope this makes sense...?

It's worth doing as you get a useable 2nd gear.

cheer Stu

Martin, take a picture or do a drawing before you start - its very easy but if you're like me you'll end up confusing yourself half way through!!!

Basically you move the 3rd layshaft gear to the mainshaft in place of the 2nd gear and vica versa.

Remember that the gears that mate originally (i.e. the 3rd gear pair and the 2nd gear pair) will still mate when you're done - its just that youve moved them to the opposite shaft and moved position.

hope this makes sense...?

It's worth doing as you get a useable 2nd gear.

cheer Stu

thanks stu I thought that was right just had a mental block and changed the sliding gears and it didn't look right . I have a three bantams and one has a standard box and you can tell the difference hence the engine strip .. Very clever Wonder who thought of it ?

• 4 months later...