"07 Sherco Long Term Test Report

copemech

As promised many years ago now, I have decided to publish the report of my long term testing of my 2.9 "07 model.

As things go, the bike started off with a rough life. As an early production "07, it was ridden by US rider Cody Webb in the "06 TDN event over the weekend. Not a problem. He only crashed it a couple times! So it was not a virgin!

Seems the bike was washed down and put back in a box for a slow boat trip to the US after, and I recieved it toward the end of the year "06, so all good. Things on the other end arrived a bit rusty, such as the chain which took some work to clean up, yet the lad kept most the scratches on the bottom where they belong, not done by many, yet there was one scratch on the top tank sticker which never got replaced because it added a bit of character along with the FIM sticker on the frame.

As I always give a new bike a good ck over and lube, this one took a bit more cleaning and such, as as I planned upon keeping it for a while I performed the "full meal deal" on it, cleaning and packing all bearings, removing tires and cleaning rims and packing spoke nipples with silecone grease for water and corrosion prevention. This sort of detailed prep takes time, yet pays off in the long run.

Each and every accessable bolt removed and treated with an anti- sieze/ grease compound, earths cleaned and ck'ed on the electrics, lighting harness removed, carb and fuel system cleaned.

Bike ran fine, I set the timing back just a bit to settle for my prefs, first Sherco I had that never did leak water into the mag cover, never!

Time goes on and I did use the bike in regular competitions throughout "07 and into "08 as I recall, yet other life events happening, such as daughters collage tuition and of course a recession which put a damper on my travelling and weekends of trials events, yet still regular riding within my backyard area and occasional local practice areas. Not quite the same, with the exception of my annual trec to TTC in Tennessee for training days weekend and a bit of bashing there.

This it the point I will tell you that I do not intend to bash anything, including my old body, too much! It takes too long to heal!

So regular clubman rides, regular maintenance performed over time and so on, I had no real problems to speak of.

I did replace a couple of dogbone bearings and bushes, couple of rear tires(total 3), one front tire and tube, couple air filters, had a leaky petcock, replaced fuel line to carb, and replaced the crank seals on it after about three years use when the idle started acting up.

All said, nothing much to report really. Good bike, now on to the "12 model and time will tell!

I may update this thread later with the tales of stupidity!

The tales of stupidity begin! Fact is this bike was used for a fair amount of experimentation. I did a fair amount of work playing with ignition timing and such with the Leonelli single map. Same basic principals will apply to the dual map such as my standard reccomendations on softening the timing from standard.

I did run a fair amount of high RPM tests with this bike, literally trying to blow it up! I failed! I could not blow it up! The motor tis tough!

Then at some point within my layoff period I decided to start the OKO experiment with the small 24mm carb as compared to the stock 26mm Dell. I did a lot of mods to this little cheap carb, and it seemed to work OK on flat ground till I took it to TN and tried to climb a mountain! So quickly found out the 272cc beast was running soo much volume of air through the small carb at mid range running under load that it was literally sucking too much fuel out the main jet. I had to reduce the main down to a 100 size to get it to run correctly under load, down about 20 points from the start. The pilot seemed ok at about 40, yet I eventually went to 38. All that worked out pretty well, the OKO is smooth and progressive like a Kiehin, yet smaller bore by 4mm as compared bakes it even better for control of the big motor and more precise than the Dell. A hard run found very little difference in power, if any, upon acceleration. Nice tame 2.9! All good! But then---!

Edited by copemech
  • Like 1

Cheers Mark,

Do you have any riding comparisons or contrasts to highlight between your 07 and 12 models? Do a write up before the 07 experiences fade from your memory. :hyper:

They already left as he typed it onto TC

Cheers Mark,

Do you have any riding comparisons or contrasts to highlight between your 07 and 12 models? Do a write up before the 07 experiences fade from your memory. :hyper:

Yes, time rolls on, and memory fades, as I tell many, in this digital world, there is no "Button" for FEEL!

My experience over time and progression of the Sherco brand over the years and several bikes from "01, "03 "05 was similar. The frame and engine changes in "06 seemed similar, yet just more refined, smoother motors, bit better suspention, then the " 07 had an adjustable rear shocker that one could quicken up to make it more lively, yet still a soft spring on the rear, seems a dual rate, so more progressive. Good and bad, bike does not rige like a cockny gasser, yet more stable and better traction in the certain situations.

Seems newer bikes had the jacked up constant rate spring, yet I did not own one, felt better, Less saggy, depending?

I think when you get into the newer geometry of the rear linkage and geometry in the "12 bike, it feels more similar to a Gasser. Overall feel is front well planted, good balance F/R yet I had issues initially. Will expound upon this later.

The TECH forks seem a charm! In my limited experience, I would compare these with the Showa on the Mont!

Edited by copemech