Evo Rear Brake

skyline1

I have been having an irritating problem with my rear brake. Not a performance issue really it still works, just a squeak when riding.

I think one of the pistons works more that the other, is this a common issue?

I removed the rear wheel today & pushed both pistons back into the caliper( took some doing) cleaned everything up & refitted the wheel, thinking that when I pressed the brake, it would push in the pistons the required amount & set the required brake firmness.

This did not happen & the foot brake only provided & small amount of movement on the pistons. they were just coming out when pressing the brake & going back in when letting the brake off.

I had to take the wheel back off & pump the brake to get the pistons to close the gap & then re fit the wheel again. This has got the brakes working again but I still feel it has not sorted the problem. Its not squeaking at the moment but I think it will start again due to one piston not moving back as much as the other.

Do I need to resign myself to fitting a new set of piston seals & brake master piston seal kit?

thanks

Before you start pushing in or pumping out the calliper pistons remove the master cylinder cap, this will let the pistons move a lot easier! Mine has usually got some water in there as well. You should remove the cap (front and back) whenever your trying to move the pistons more than there normal stroke.

Most brakes will squeak if you don’t put any brake grease (copper slip usually) between the piston and back of the pad. I don’t use anything on my bike, to try and stop any crap sticking to it, and put up with the squeak.

Hope this helps.

What year is your bike?

In 2011 they got rid of the remote reservoir and it is all in the master cylinder

2010 and prior it is under the bodywork above the carb

If you have a sticky piston then one end of the brake pad is usually worn more than the other

Maybe new pads would fix it, if you cook pads real bad sometimes they act up

Resurface them with a flat surface and some 220 sandpaper and feel all over the disc for chunks

Also see if its only in a certain spot in the rotation of the disc, maybe it's bent

My Bike is a 2009 Evo so I have the remote reservoir. I have not cooked the brake pads & the pads are fairly new, I fitted them a few months ago.

when you look down at the caliper from behind the bike, the piston on the side that the brake hose is moves more than the opposite side. are they supposed to move the same distance?

Well in theory they should move identically but it can't happen in real life, it's kinda like electricity following the path of least resistance, brakes push the easy piston first

If the pedal is not spongy I wouldn't worry much

Pushing the pistons back in probably won't "break em loose"

If the pistons are sticky then new seals and polish the pistons is all you can do but the bike doesn't sound old enough for that

I bet no ones bled it and changed the brake fluid since 2009. I'd start with a fluid change and bleed. I reckon you'll find it'll work a lot better.

You'll may even find the more accurate guild movement stops the squeak. If not try the copper grease on the back of pads. It works for me.

Some bike cleaners and spray lube drift can cause brake squeaks also.