Beta Evo Front Forks

westygas270

On my rev 3 I use 6/7 turns of front per load and quite a bit of rear per load and calm it down with no more than three clicks of damping. I like my bike lively!

I use 5wt oil in the forks with the amounts specified by Beta. My shock was re built using online oil in case that makes a difference.

My suspension is better than me!

Get the sag and spring feel roughly right and go harder/softer both ends until the bike all feels light and wheels are easy to lift either end whilst riding. To calm it down then do the damping to the desired amount for average conditions. Two click more for thick mud, two less for bone dry conditions.

depends on what year.. 09 to 2011 had spring issues,

updating with standard 2012 or 13 springs will make a world of change.

and an update to the new 82 {red} springs is an even better jump.

5wt, and ill have to look up my notes on the amounts..

i start at the lowest settings, and adjust till it feels nice..and reacts well, but not too fast.

update.

370cc Right

350cc left

Edited by chuckindenver

Chuckindenver - is that Rev 3 oil and amounts? That's what I've just put in my 200 Rev 3. Is the Evo the same?

Stiffer springs will make the bike harder to compress and suspension will return faster. Your weight will also be supported more readily if you are heavy. Unless all your preload is maxed out and you can't get the right sag I'd leave the standard springs in.

Fresh oil makes a world of difference to feel and speed of the forks. 5 wt seems to be to most common in my opinion but I know a few riders running 7.5 as the thicker oil helps slow down the action if your clickers can't control the 5 wt.

Less oil makes the fork softer and more oil makes them firmer.

My advice would be to see where your setting are by counting preload turns back from maximum and your damper setting from max. Once you know these you can assess if you are bottom, middle or top of the operating range of your forks/shock. If everything is at minimum try adjusting things to the settings found in the manual. If they are all maxed out try the same first as it might be simply bad set up which makes them feel terrible.

Suspension is affected by many things from tyre pressure through to ambient temp and riding style before you need to worry about changing stuff around. Are all your swing arm bearings clean and greased well? When was the fork oil last changed? If you don't know the answers to these I'd start here - you might find the cure!

You can really wreck a bike by having badly set up suspension and the manufacturers spend a huge amount on getting a good base setting right so trust them and be sure it is as intended before changing things a lot. There are so many myths out there as to what works etc but my advice is if you really feel its wrong you need to at least have a chat with a suspension tuner and let them see your set up before ripping it apart.

• Like 1

evo and Rev are the same oil levels ..the 09 to 2011 springs were soft, and tended to collaps fast...

check you Beta dealer if you dont belive me..why do you thing i changed it?

with me just standing on the bike, the rear was almost on the rear tire, untill they finally figured out the spring rate, with good springs..i had mine adjusted up as far as it would go, and that crushed the spring even more.

updated springs...fixed the issue. i could set the spring rate down, and adjust the dampening like it should be...

iv been on a Beta, since the TR32...a guy learns a few things in that amount of time.

unless your over 185LBS, the new Red springs will be too much,,

the stock 2012 or 23 springs will be perfect for the average rider.. the original pre 2011 springs are junk and wear out fast....

change the fork oil 2 times a year, more if you ride alot, flush the fork tubes as well,

7.5 wt is too much for a trials bike.. unless to plan on MXing with it as well.

some riders like slow suspension, adjusting the dampening can slow the action a bit..

use what Beta says in the manual. i use Bel Ray, and change it mid season..i use seal savers and clean them regularly, i have yet to have a fork seal leak or go bad since the Rev3s.. seemed the early Beta forks came leaky from the factory, but i have them figured out as well. caustic material seals fixed the issue, as well as seal savers,

dirt is what tears up seals. and lack of maintance..

Edited by chuckindenver

I can't comment on the earlier/later betas as I've not owned one. I do agree with what chuck says though.

People always blame the kit and never their maintenance regime. Get the new springs and do the oil and you'll be sweet.

I like 5wt oil as I like supple suspension. I think is one area where people get confused. A trials bike is supposed to be supple as it does not do whoops!

Well sprung and soft is the way ahead. Use damping clickers to slow things down. Just.

• Like 1