Gorgeous Matchless.......

slapshot 3

Nice bike. What year model and size is it? The Matchless is one of the best looking bikes, particularly the engine, ever made IMHO but they are as rare as hens teeth in Tennessee. I have a spot saved in the garage for one someday after the kids get out on their own. I would assume a Matchless is a time consuming and expensive resto job? For what school cost these days its hard to start anything expensive!!

I would assume a Matchless is a time consuming and expensive resto job?

Have a look at the www.jampot.com website of the AJS and Matchless Owners Club, they have an excellent club spares scheme with the majority of parts easily and cheaply (compared to modern bikes) available. I am pretty sure Johns bike is a 'proper' alloy barrel competition Matchless but starting off with a more common iron barreled G3LS - 350 or G80 - 500 Matchless or the equivalent AJS (Model 16S & Model 18S) a relatively low cost but useable trials bike could be built.

The AJS and Matchless engine, frame and Gear box are all straightforward to work on and would provide hours of relaxation - even to build/restore a normal road bike, let alone a competition bike. Prices of 500 engines are on the up bcause they are the engine to beat in P65 scrambline (Motocross). the owners club started recasting 500 heads last year toi cater for this demand.

Saw one at a trial yesterday Big John, dont' ask me what model it was...it looked big to me!

Seemed quite a handfull to ride on the tighter sections?

Lovely sound though :lol:

Nice to see the old stuff being ridden though :D

Beautiful bikes. Looks and sound!

Unfortuneately here in the colonies pre-65 heavyweight bikes are a bit rare in vintage competition vs the later twin shockers. The bigger events (such as mid-ohio pictured here) will get a handfull of bikes out and attract a bit of attention however when ridden!

post-14-1117478265.jpg