Kick Start Return Spring 199A

mike350

Hi Woody,

The engine is assembled having just been rebuilt. Used original spring, so lesson learned. Nice new spring now. I've got it into position with the end through the shaft but I'm having trouble with the tension. How can I turn it over enough and still hook the spring over the retaining bolt.

Your advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

I'm trying to fit a new return spring and I'm lost as to how I can tension it correctly.

There must be a relatively easy way to do this. Can someone please tell me what it is??

Sorry, the cases have to be split to install the spring correctly. I have replaced them without splitting the cases but it was in desperation and I had to force the spring into submission with a big pair of pliers. Dave

Yes, it's much easier to do it properly with the cases split. I've never tried to replace the spring with the engine assembled but you may as well have a go now the old spring is off...

Only way I can think I'd try it is locate the spring into the shaft and then get a long / thin nose pair of mole grips and attach them to the spring just below the 'hook' part that locates on the stud with the lock nut. Then with the spring firmly held in the grips try and wind it round the shaft and locate the hook on the stud. That's how you have to do an Ossa kickstart spring.

Not sure whether you'd have to go around the shaft once or twice to get the right tension but I guess you're going to have fun finding out...

Thanks for the advice. I have it located through the shaft which wasnt easy. So I will try to wind it around the shaft as you suggest. I've been using a linked cable tie as a handle rather than grips but wondered if there was an easier way (without splitting the engine). It seems that there isnt.

Cheers

hi mate it took me ages to get my head round it but its quit easy put the spring through the kickstart shaft as you allready have then with a spring puller pull it round the shaft once hook on stud job done. there will be anough tension to return the kickstart. you have to use abit of force to get the spring round this is why your beter useing a spring puller hope this helps cheers bondy.