Ups A Daisy

bultacorock

Autsch ..... :o

As long as all works I would leave it as it is until you will recognise malfunction or heavy incontinence.

In the meantime I would search for a replacement.

I've done likewise the gear/kickstarter mechanism to my SWM, here the hole shaft of the kickstarter was somehow oval

and lead to a not very proper working return mechanism of the kickstarter and heavy incontinence,

the last weeks I lost around 20ml gear oil per week. I have now fixed the problem recently in wintertime.

Only you know if it's affecting gear selection as you're the one changing gear....

However, if you need to change it, it's an easy job and only needs the clutch cover removing, the shaft can be removed without removing anything else. You may have to cut the splined part off the shaft to draw it through the hole in the casing though, if the shaft is too bent..

Hi Pshrauber ,

Thanks for the feed back im always greatful that you take the time to help

Seems to be working ok May be i should start to look for a new one.

Its starting to feel like spring here at last .... well some days are getting a bit warmer in the village still lots of snow

BR

Edited by bultacorock

Hi Woody

Thanks for taking the time to let me know what needs to be done and the best way to go about it im not very good at putting things back together ..... But i have ordered a manuel from Bultaco UK

I have a friend that will watch over me he has always been into moto cross he has retired from racing now. But has never had a Bultaco and i have not got a clue yet but hope to get some of the basic

maintenance wayed off. I will not do anything unless some one is with me till they think i can manage what needs to be done.

So im really greatful to have people like your self and the others on here who have a life time of experience working on bultacos and know the best way to go about things, i have spent lots

of time reading posts and taking notes over the last few years not sure which bike to get at first i always wanted a Bultaco really so i managed to get one just over a week ago.

I was just worried about what may have happened inside .... ( I did not show my friend yet what i have done ) is it better to pull it out and have a look at it ? is it easy to get a replacement.

and are they expensive .

Thanks for all your help Woody

BR

Edited by bultacorock

I did the same thing. I bought a second had shaft for 5 quid off ebay and it took less then ten mins to replace. Just be carfull not to force it out if it does not want to go. Like Woody said you may have to cut the bent end off. if you dont you will damage the oil seal.

• Like 1

It doesn't look too bad to be honest, I bent one worse than that on the left hand side and it caused the shaft to bind in the casing, so it did affect gear changes. Nothing damaged inside though and I'd guess you'd really have to hammer it one to do so.

If it is changing gear ok and the oil seal isn't damaged and not leaking oil then you won't hurt riding it a bit longer. Eventually though, it may prematurely wear the oil seal on the shaft. You can get them from ebay from time time but you're reliant upon the description being good - ie: not bent and with good splines. Better off to try Bultaco UK, Sammy Miller or John Collins (JC Motorcycles Port Talbot) to see if they have a good used one. They'll know if it is good or not.

Bultacos by the way are one of the more straightforward engines to work on.

• Like 1