Freeing Off Rear Caliper

lewis_gasgas

Has anyone got any suggestions of seasing off the pistons in a rear caliper on my 98 Gasser? I went to change the pads to day and the pistons wont go back as they ve not been change for a while. Help is Needed thanks in advance Lewis...

Make sure that the master cylinder adjuster (plunger rod) on the pedal is backed right out else there'll still be pressure in the system making the pistons practically impossible to push back into the calipers. If they still won't go in, open the bleed nipple on the caliper and try again. Note that you'll get fluid squirting out and will probably have to bleed the system thoroughly after installing the new pads if you do this 'cos it's nearly impossible to avoid getting air into the system.

If all else fails, disconnect the line and remove the caliper completely, carefully remove the seals and use a compressor to force the pistons out (be careful - they sometimes come out like bullets!) Clean up the seals and pistons (replace if they're damaged in any way), install the new pads, reinstall the caliper, refill the system with new, clean fluid and bleed, bleed, bleed. Then bleed some more.

Every pad change on my old TXT seemed to turn into a wrestling match so I've been through this myself a few times! Good luck!

dont know how practical this is on trials bikes but here goes.a couple of weeks ago dads mate brought a daihatsu 4x4 in saying it was making strange noises when he braked. to cut a long story short, there was nothing left at all of the brake pads, and the pistons had seized. we heated the caliper gently with a blowtorch, but not enough to cause damage, then forced the pistons in with a screwdriver, left the screwdriver there and pressed the brake to push the pistons out again. after a couple of repeats of the process the brakes worked fine, and have no had any problems since.like i say i dont know if its practical on a trials bike as to be honest never had the need to take one apart, but try it if you think it will help