Pro Gearbox 5Th & 6Th Gear Noise - Normal Or Not?

dombush

All

a long distance trial a few weeks back meant unusually that I used 5th and 6th gears.

When 5th gear is selected the noise is "different" with a slight whine but nothing dramatic. Its the same in 6th but disappears as soon as I change down into 4th.

The only other clue is that when I roll off / on the throttle in these gears it seems to have slightly more backlash and noise to go with it.

I'm aware that the pro has a unique-ish gearbox design so I'm not unduly worried but want to know from other Pro riders if this is normal or not.

Dom

Long as it isnt a grinding "crunching walnut shells" sound, you are ok, gear box is neat and complicated, I saw a post with how the gears work in a picture somewhere... might been Thumpertalk, I thought it was here though. another showed why clutch basket makes noise, good reads and viewing to point to, if I have time Ill find the links, and see if "Chief Geek" of this site, would mind stickying it...

My 2005 raga rep did this just before the shift drum broke up and wrecked my gearbox and cases.

If it sounds more mechanical than just cogs with a lack of wear I'd think about a strip or even just and oil drop to,check for metal particles.

From memory mine felt tighter in 5th and sixth.