95' Section Torque Specs On Crank Nut

cafe55

I suspected some loose wiring under the flywheel and found the problem. However, putting the flywheel back on I'm not completely sure what the torque specs should be. Can someone out there lend a hand with some ft/lbs? Also, would anyone recommend loc-tite on the treads of the nut - maybe medium strength? Would hate the flywheel to spin off. Thanks allot in advance.

Isaac

A couple of things:

The flywheel threads should be the opposite of the flywheel spinning direction.

The taper on the crank shaft and the taper on the flywheel mating is what keeps them turning together.

The flywheel nut is there to facilitate that tight taper relationship. Never put grease or anything else on the flywheel taper or crank shaft external taper.

As for the torque settings this is easy to find by finding the size of the crank shaft size and looking up a torque spec for that size bolt. The bike manufacturers do not determine torque setting on bolts but rather there are international standards that every good engineering department uses. So measure the crank at the threads, it it is 18mm then look up the torque spec for a 18mm bolt.

DO NOT USE LOCTITE on the threads as torque specs are for dry fits.

Thank you Gentlemen! Check- on not using Loctite or grease on the treads and tapers. I'll go ahead and torque to 50ft./lbs dry. Also, thanks on the link for torque specs - should come in handy.

Isaac,

Also, thanks on the link for torque specs - should come in handy.

Isaac,

Welcome, that site has a slew of conversions. poke around and check it out.

and HAVE SOME FUN on that Fantic!!!