Advice For New 250Sy Owner

wizzbang

Not only am I new to the bike 250SY 2003 model, I'm new to trials and 2 strokes.

I'm just after some pointers...kind of a do's and don'ts of owning and maintaining the bike.

The bike as it is has been looked after by it's previous owners, and I want to continue that trend.

Is there anything specific to that model that I need to be aware of ?

Also what about the fuel/oil mixture....the previous owner said that he ran it 50:1 as he felt uncomfortable running it any different (old boy with a couple of old twin shocks in his garage) should I continue with that mixture or make it more in line with what I have been reading on these forums (80:1)

In short anything that owners of this model should know

Ta

Welcome to The Scorpa world. I have an 08 and love it. There's not an awful lot of difference between the 2003 and my 08. Graphics of course, and I believe the engines got a little faster in the later years, that could be due to lighter flywheels. I'm not sure.

A lot of guys think the Yamaha engine is old fashioned and heavy, but I've loved mine. They last and hold up well over time. My Scorpa has been ridden in a Trials event almost every month since I got it in apring of 08. It took 2nd place out of 6 guys in the Intermediate class last Saturday (got beat by four points for first). I think it's well suited for most riders, easy to ride and rock solid.

That's one of the problems I'm having with some of newer bikes from the other manufacturers. They are getting so minimal that after a year or two they are getting pretty ragged. I guess that's fine if a guy's rich and can afford a new bike every year, but unfortunately I'm not. I usually ride a bike for ten years. I just bought an almost new 2002 Montesa Cota for my son for the same reason. It too has longevity and holds up, and like the Yamana engine in the Scorpa you can't beat that Honda engine in the Montesa.

The SY's have an embosed raised VIN number block on top of the engine cases. That block has some sharp corners that will dig into the bottom side of the aluminum exhaust mid section and cause it to split out. Make sure those corners are rounded off. I used a dremel tool on mine.

50:1 is way too rich. You can easily run 70 or 80:1. It's hard to get it exact edpending on the container you are using to mix the oil from, so anything in that 70 o 80 range is in the ball park. I'm running Amzoil 2 stroke oil with 100LL av gas, and it really likes it.

I run Maxima 75 light transmission fluid in mine. Transmission and clutch work great.

Carb is not easy to get to. It's doable once you learn how, but you'll need to take off the fender, tank, aluminum top brace and air filter box to get to it. The good news is that once you get it set, you usually don't have to get into it often.

I run iridium NGK plugs. They last forever and don't foul.

There are lots of other tricks here if you'll do a search.

Good luck

Edited by ridgrunr

Hello Wizbang,

Good choice going for a Scorpa.

I also am recently new to the world of Scorpa, i've got mine for about 3 weeks now.

The advice i got from people overhere in Holland is, when you don't work the engine hard run it on a mixture of 100 to 1!

That's 50 ml off oil on 5 liters of gas (98 octane).

It seems they are verry sensetive when you run your mix to rich, the exhaust port and system gets realy messy with oil.

Also regularly clean your airfilter as with all trialbikes.

But most important ride it and enyoy your time on the bike.