Fork Oil Txt 2001

blade7

hi guys n girls I changed my fork oil on my bike a put 300ml 5w in each leg when riding yesterday and hitting big fallen tree the fork was bottom out at one point they where stuck down so do i up the weight of the oil or put alittel more in (if so how much ) many thanks

The forks will stick down if they weren`t centered on assembly. I take it you disassembled the forks? I install the bottom bolt with the forks collapsed to center them.

Stiction is usually a sign of mis-aligned forks but stuck in the collapsed position is generally a sign of a bent upper fork tube.

Jon

Jon , the first time I had that happen was a 2001 321. Ever since I assemble them collapsed. Of course it had to happen in a trials!

It doesn't take much of a bend to bind them up. Sometimes it's a good idea to mark the fork tube in it's location in the tripleclamp so they go on the same way if you are not going to check them for straightness. blade7 may want to loosen the top fork caps so they can collapse completely (loosen the fork brace and axle clamp bolts to allow them to "adjust" to the slightly new position) and rotate a tube(s) a little at a time and test for binding. He might be able to see any marks on the tubes that would indicate how they were previously installed, like where the triple clamp split is.

Jon

Right i dropped the forks spring add 10ml extra oil and undone all the bolts and started from top yoke worked down all seem ok just got to hit some big stuff see how it goes

Also, when tightening the bolts that hold axel in place, bounce/compress the forks, a few times, so everything lines up.

I have one "bind a little" when axel tightened in the "incorrect order" on the old bikes, the fork bottoms can try to be closer than the tops where triple clamps are, so just a guess...

This is all assuming JSE and Lineaway's ideas aren't the issue.