Kicking Back When Starting

clarky

Quote:

"I have spent many years explaining how technical stuff works"

As most of us have on this forum. In fact there are many guys on here who do it rather well and have done so for many, many years! :wall:

Some of us even do it for a living! :beer:

Try writing datasheets for integrated circuits. Bike stuff is cake by comparison.

Hey TLTEL

Or he is out spending lots of money on new CDI boxes, Flywheel pullers, Drill bits, etc when all he really needs is a big heavy left boot weighed down with lead shot and more left leg muscles LOL :beer:

Wullie Baxter needs tae ge him a bowl o Scots Porridge oats. Two rolls n square Lorne sausages an a bottel o Irn-Bru

Edited by billyt
  • Like 1

Clarky

There appears to be a few people telling you that you are doing it wrong, and they are a having a handbag fight.

The way I read it you are doing it just fine. I had a 270 Beta that would do the same. Just try the adjusting the ignition

• Like 1

Hi All,

1st, Thanks for all of your help even if some of it has got a bit of track, :D

My Beta is all fixed now and sorry it is NOT technique that did it, Have been kicking bikes over for 20 years and Im sure I wasn't doing it wrong all that time, :mellow:

Thanks to all who said it needs to be retarded a little, You Were Correct!

This is what I did, Retard timing 1.5mm on the plate.

I did this on Friday night and have rode a 3 day event here on the weekend and Yes the bike has not kicked back one single time.

So Thanks again you guys have saved me $$$ and time in getting it fixed. Well Happy :D

Cheers

Karl

Edited by clarky

Lots of chat!!

Wonder what happened to Clarky.

Probably down the Gym working those leg muscles, :hyper:

TLTEL

Na m8, listen to those other guys and have been of riding the last 3 days, :thumbup: timing was the key.

Edited by clarky

It's all technique - try starting with the bike on a bike stand so that you have your right foot on the right footpeg, while kicking with your left - this gets your body up higher and makes it easier - you can also lean against your van or a tree etc to do the same thing - tip ! turn your bars slightly to the right, so that if the bike does kick back, it doesn't drive your knee into the handlebar. - I bet a few on this forum have had that happen, especially the older members - As Billy T says, You canna be timid.

Thanks, but I would NOT use this way of starting a bike, as with having your weight above the bike and if a motor is to kick back then you are more likely to break teeth, I have seen this happen before. Use your leg only and then if motor kicks back your leg will come back up, but yes keep your bars turned to the right so your knee don't hit bar,

cheers

Edited by clarky

Hey TLTEL

Or he is out spending lots of money on new CDI boxes, Flywheel pullers, Drill bits, etc when all he really needs is a big heavy left boot weighed down with lead shot and more left leg muscles LOL :beer:

Wullie Baxter needs tae ge him a bowl o Scots Porridge oats. Two rolls n square Lorne sausages an a bottel o Irn-Bru

Sorry you wrong lad!

but Thanks for your info :thumbup:

Edited by clarky

Clarky

The bike is now changed from the original specs that Beta put out. So you are saying that a standard 300cc bike with standard timing from the factory kicks back and everybody should now change their timing?????

Not convinced that changing the timing solved the original problem only camouflaged it! :popcorn:

But hey if that works for you then go for it!

Cheers

Clarky

There appears to be a few people telling you that you are doing it wrong, and they are a having a handbag fight.

The way I read it you are doing it just fine. I had a 270 Beta that would do the same. Just try the adjusting the ignition

Thanks for all you help and YES! they do get a bit carried away, :rolleyes: