2013 Ossa 280I

pmski

Thinking about taking the plunge, have never ridden trials only Enduro and MX.

A nasty injury has made a trials bike appealing due to weight and less stress on my arms. I snapped my humerus in two early April (MX) and has surgery eight weeks ago.

I should be able to start riding in August and a light weight bike that is less powerful than my SXf 250 is appealing. I want to use it more like a MTB with an engine though than rock hopping and to get onto single tracks in forrests.

So, noise pollution is a consideration - compared to my SXF, how quiet is the Ossa?

The Ossa appeals as it has EFI and I am not a bike tweaker, want to drop the oil and ride it without dicking around with carbs.

So, what is the Ossa like in terms of reliability and how quiet?

Thanks

I'm sure the Ossa wpould be a great bike for you but, as a former Edinburgh resident, I was wondering where you might be able to ride it legally in local single track/forested areas? I'm still in touch with the Scottish trials scene and my impression is that there's virtually nowhere to ride with appropriate permission except in trials events themselves.

I'm sure the Ossa wpould be a great bike for you but, as a former Edinburgh resident, I was wondering where you might be able to ride it legally in local single track/forested areas? I'm still in touch with the Scottish trials scene and my impression is that there's virtually nowhere to ride with appropriate permission except in trials events themselves.

Where I choose to ride is up to me, I have had two people now concerned about legal riding near Edinburgh on this forum and I just joined.

Here are two suitable areas for Trials bikes

http://www.tintomoto.com/

The above is 30 mins drive from my house - they have a 10 mile trail loop for Enduro and Trials bikes only

http://www.totalmx.c...cross-Track.php

Huge area for Trials and enduro bikes (not MX track)

So, can users just answer the question re the bike and get off my case where I ride.

Thanks

Edited by pmski
  • Like 2

Loads of our members have Ossas,certainly have to say they've had a few issues.

If it's just trail riding i would suggest a 4rt,really sturdy still Fi and a decent range.

Sound great too,good resale as well.

Loads of our members have Ossas,certainly have to say they've had a few issues.

If it's just trail riding i would suggest a 4rt,really sturdy still Fi and a decent range.

Sound great too,good resale as well.

Thanks - good to know. Thought the 4rt was meant to be loud?

Like the idea of FI so will research that bike as well now

Started with a 2011 ossa, once mapped right it was a fantastic bike, so much so that I just upgraded to a new factory r 300i.....which is even better!

I would like to think that the new bike was instrumental in my first victory in my class recently, certainly my confidence was up!

Like the idea of FI so will research that bike as well now

Most 4rts are loud, seems they're like Harley's & get all the restrictions removed from the pipe at the first service. There don't seem to be many still in use at trials over here now which is good for keeping venues, just like in mx the extra noise that carries further from a 4 stroke brings unwanted attention & complaints from neighbours which costs venues

The Ossa seems to be as reliable as any of the other bikes so far, only issues I've heard of locally have come from the riders leaving the bikes idling on the stand while walking the section & they've fallen over & revved until seizing which is a owner fault not the bikes. First year ran a weird bush arrangement in the rear wheel instead of bearings, can be modified to take bearings which our importer did to all the bikes here not long after selling them

Some people have had issues with starting but that should have been sorted by now with map upgrades & the battery pack, main thing in my experience is to keep your hand away from the throttle when kicking, make sure to push down on the kickstart to engage things before giving it a good strong kick as well

Edited by tony27
  • Like 1

The Ossa has been a good bike for me and quite reliable given the abuse I out it through. It is quiet and I often have great wildlife moments by being able to move through tricky terrain. Look out for where you ride as people on this forum are concerned to keep as much land available as possible..bit of an European thing, I think. Anyhow, have fun and work on getting your weight on the pegs not on the hands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is if its had the restrictors removed. Standard it's quite quiet. For some reason some riders think that if their bike is as loud as Toni Bous they might ride as well as him B) .

and get off my case where I ride.

It's a bit steep coming onto a new website and slagging people who are concerned about land (ab)use without attempting to understand why. Trials riders are touchy about the subject because many land owners will only permit trials bikes on their land but the hooligan brigade hear about that land and ride on it without the owners permission and everybody, including the trials guys, get thrown off.

Back on subject: have you considered the Explorer? Basically the Ossa trials bike with a "long ride" kit. Could be worth a thought.

Edited by toofasttim