98 Gas Gas 250 (Txt?) Limitations? Good As First Bike? Specs?

xeriotti

Hi everyone, I´ve been riding biketrials for almost ten years...and stunting sportbikes and ATVs for a living the last five... I want to buy my first trials motorcycle but in my country the choices are closes to NONE-

The only decent bike i could find is a GAS GAS 250, year 1998 in mint condition, (the owner doesnt know wich the exact model is, but according to the pics its a TXT 250)

Im new to the sport and I understand the bike will surpass me. But as it may be the only bike ill have for a long time i want to know if theres anything on the bike that may limit or difficult my learning curve or performance I mean, theres anything wrong with the bike compared to todays standards?...weight...geometry.... trustability..you tell me...

Im also interested on getting info on it, i couldnt find geometry data, weight or thing like that online, just basic information.

What about the GENERATIONS of the TXTs? Which lapse of years have major model changes?

I want to make a decision, but before i go all in on the GG i want to know your opinion...

Think you will have a 250 JTX contact,cant swear to that but without a picture it's a guess . Want to know about it ,go to GasGas USA , Jim Snell ,Rising sun imports . A wealth of information .

See it in action on you tube in the hands of Jordi Terres especially the clips of practice in Andorra .

There is information available in Spanish too on GasGas UKs web site ( parts manual etc on a download ) or indeed GasGas Spain .

My TxT 280 Andorra is a great bike and much the same as yours . Just the brakes need regular service really . Pfiffer did a stunt on your model of bike climbing a quarter KM high rock face.That's how good your bike is .

Ted

can find pics of just about every GasGas made here.

http://gasgasmuseum.com/

This would be the 1998 page

http://gasgasmuseum.com/bikes/1998.html

1998 250cc?? I think. The pic is a little small so hard for me to tell.

http://gasgasmuseum.com/bikes/images/1998/98t250l.jpg

I don't know much about GasGas Pre Pro engine days but my friend had a 2000 TXT 280 and it held up to much abuse and performed well.

The bike will not be a limiting factor.

The 'pre- pro' models are probably a bit stronger in general, but there was a frame design fault on a model around 97-99 ish and the front down bits (can't really call them tubes) were cracking. I can't recall which year it was but somebody will know.

I got some pics of the bike itself.... Some are actual (clean ones) and the others when this old man bought it.. He told me it has not trials use...just used to go across some step trails and things like that... It doesnt look to beat up... what you guys think? Should i go for it? If you notice anything worng please let me know.... Im really new to this,,

PS: Thanks a lot for the information... Im reading it right now... but what i treasure the most is your personal perspective and advice.

slku.jpg

5pby.jpg

m1w3.jpg

cb9r.jpg

cj2s.jpg

lek0.jpg

uppg.jpg

zy1h.jpg

1pxu.jpg

sxv.jpg

p30t.jpg

17d2.jpg

Looks like a 1994 model to me.

Pics suggest its not seen much trialing action, but seem to show its not seen much maintenance either. Might be a good bike? They rode really nice these. I recall the brakes are not on par with later models, but still OK.

Edited by rosey

That is a 1994 Contact JT25. I have one just like it. Great bike, very rugged and reliable. Not as light or responsive as the "Pro" models but a great learning bike.

2 common issues are: 1) the seal in the water pump goes bad and coolant gets into the gearbox. Seal replacement is a relatively easy job. You can tell by pouring a little of the trans fluid out. If it is milky looking, it has water and should be drained and refilled with fresh ATF, and coolant added to the radiator. 2) the cast subframe (holds the rear fender in place) breaks if hit too hard. Hard to repair. If you have metal working skills, a replacement can be made out of aluminum plate and bar.

The rear tire in the pic looks to be pretty worn. It would be OK for practice but for real trials, I would want a newer tire.

Have fun!

Thats_a_five!!! Your totally right!!! its a 94 JT25 :( ... Its older than i thought.... and heavier...and bulkyer... :( I got totally cold about the GG... The Jt25 costs U$S3650... The other bike i can get is a brand new Beta EVO 300 (2013)...I got some contacts from my former job as professional stunt driver.... They offered me the only EVO300 in the entire country at their cost price..7750 dollars... You guys think its worth spending more than twice the money on a new bike for learning the first steps??? Isnt the JT25 too old, heavy and outdated? ... .

WHAT I MEAN.... IS AN EVO300 2013...twice the bike??? It looks a lot lighter, flickable, trustable....nut...it really is worth twice the JT25?

Edited by xeriotti

Hi xeriotti.

First off, I have nothing against these bikes, I ride a 95, 350 and my son has a 94, 125, but I think as you are used to stunt / trick riding you would be better off with the Beta if you can afford it.

once you have bought this bike you will need to spend money on it, start with new tyres, brake over hall, suspension linkage (not cheap) probably wheel bearings and that's without tidying plastics etc

Those front forks are not very good in my opinion, (same as my sons) and I think that unless you are good with the spanners you will end up spending a lot of money on it.

But having said all that, it is still a capable bike and you will have fun on it if you decide to go for it!

Just my opinion,

TLTEL

US$3650 is way too much for a '94 Gasgas. I only paid about US$1200 for mine 6 years ago. I just picked up a 2005 Montesa so am planning to sell mine in the US$1000 range. If you can afford the EVO, that is a much better value for your money.

Have fun. Keep your feet up!