Newbie Buying New Bike - But What?

pmski

Help please, planning to buy a new 2013 (or 2012) bike - am a newbie to Trials but have ridden enduro and MX for a few years.

I like riding bikes, not working on them so want an easy to maintain reliable bike.

Apart from starting issues, I like the look of the Ossa 280i - realise they have the ES9V easy start kit which 'seems' to solve the problem.

Reason the Ossa appeals is FI as I don't really have time to clean and tweak carbs regularly - I also ride FI on my MX and Enduro bikes and really love them. The OSSA also has great suspension but the lingering starting issues concern me.

As I will be using the bike for mixed riding, the local off road centre at Tinto has an amazing 10 mile trail loop with mixed riding through forrest, moors, hills etc so I want a bike to ride on this.

So, what else should I consider:

1. BETA EVO appeals and it has a great long range tank/seat available - not sure what engine size 250 or 300 and is this bike easy to maintain?

2. GAS GAS TXT - beautiful looking bike not sure what engine size 250 or 300 - is this bike easy to maintain?

3. Sherco - also like the look of the bike - not sure what engine size 250 or 290?

Order of importance as follows:

1. East starting

2. Easy Maintenance

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Only one bike for you then,

Montesa 4 RT

Fill it with fuel and ride it, HONDA build quality, Say no more,Also for mine i have the seat/tank unit so if i want to do a trail ride,or a 3 stage trial i can sit down,and also have an extra 2 litres of fuel on board, and because its PGM-FI you can remap the throttle body/ecu as many times as you like with what ever maps you want,very mild to VERY wild

i have even done some enduros with mine with some good results,

Thats only my opinion

Jeffers

• Like 1

Only one bike for you then,

Montesa 4 RT

Fill it with fuel and ride it, HONDA build quality, Say no more,Also for mine i have the seat/tank unit so if i want to do a trail ride,or a 3 stage trial i can sit down,and also have an extra 2 litres of fuel on board, and because its PGM-FI you can remap the throttle body/ecu as many times as you like with what ever maps you want,very mild to VERY wild

i have even done some enduros with mine with some good results,

Thats only my opinion

Jeffers

They are great bikes, but heavy when a beginner would do better on a lighter bike.

You may be over analyzing the carb issue, there's no real maintenance, you may adjust the air screw once or twice but really it's a few seconds with a screwdriver

With regard to cleaning a carb, if you get bad fuel it's much harder to get it out of an EFI bike

I am not fond of anything Honda, the bike hasn't really changed in like 8 years or something, it's good but it's not so outstanding that it makes other brands look bad

Had a couple of Beta's and other than normal stuff like fork seals and wheel bearings they have been great and very fun to ride

They are great bikes, but heavy when a beginner would do better on a lighter bike.

A bike thats a bit heavier is also more stable. + the power delivery is very smooth (Ossa's also) so better for a novice.

I realy don't think a few kg's would make that much difference.

I think any 250 is a good starter bike... I'm not talking about relyabilty, most people like their bike the best...

Edited by guys

ok, so I have a found a nearly new Beta Evo 300 for good money. My questions is - would I be better with a 250 as I am new to trials bikes?

I will be using the bike for general riding/fun/singletrack and will likely buy the long range tank/seat.

I may start riding events in the future but the bike is for fun at the moment. I have sold my SXF 250 so am without a bike.

Am recovering from a really bad MX injury (snapped my humerus had surgery almost 12 weeks ago) so MX and enduro is out for a year but some easy fun on a light trials bike appeals. I may also 'retire' from MX and Enduro if I like trials as I can't take another major injury - so this bike has to be able to do a lot. I know guys who use trials bikes a bit like light weight enduros.

Thoughts please

Thanks

I think for general use a 300 isn't so bad. For light enduro I think it's better than a 250 as it does not have to struggle so much at higher speeds.

And for trials a 300 is more than enough but if you learn it on a 300, you'll will learn soon enough to go easy on the throttle ;-)