Cota 348 Tank Sealing

mudyman

Hi guys,

I´m starting doing a 348 using bits from 3 bikes. I have a 348 alloy tank (as in 1976 UK spec.) with a fiberglass cover (MRR) thats leacking on 3 places quite badly. I also have a complete 348 from 1977 tank thats probaly fiberglas (from Italy) the last one is a 248 tank thats almost certainly fiberglass and very heavy compared to the others.

My Questions are:

can the alloy tank be welded and is it easy (the tank has a lot of dents some of them quite big)

is the complete tank from 1977 definatly fiberglas and how can it be sealed against bioethenol in modern petrol (it has no leaks at present but hasn´t had modern petrol).

The 248 tank is also in top condition with no leaks and hasn´t had modern petrol till now so it would have to be sealed.

Fiberglass tanks can be sealed with a Caswell Kit very good, sealed my fantic one perfect. I think they do a kit for aluminum tanks if hole isnt too big but probably best get it welded, it should weld okay for someone who is good with a tig.

Why are you not sure what the 1977 tank is made of? Can't you see inside? What do you mean "from Italy"? If it was made in 1977 it was almost certainly made in Spain and definitely made of fibreglass.

Try and work out why the 248 tank is so heavy - it may have been lined and/or repaired, and if it has been relined it is very important to know what it was relined with if you are thinking about relining it again

I would recommend getting the aluminium tank fixed and use it in preference to a fibreglass tank

furse: thanks for the tip and the name of supplier

feetupfun: I´m not quite sure what the 1977 one is because its got a metal insert where the cap fits and looking in to it doesn´t really give an indication. I expect it to be fiberglas (as is my 1981 white tank) the strange thing is that the 248 tank is much heavier although it´s completely orig. as is the 348 one.

From Italy is because the bike was imported from Italy and I presume it didn´t have an alloy tank because this was the UK spec. only ?

OK - like Italy, we (Australia) got 348s with fibreglass tanks so are very familiar with them. The steel insert for the cap is standard in the 348 fibreglass tank. I'm pretty sure you have the same fibreglass tank as what he have here, so if you want to have a look at the fibreglass, take the tank out in the sun with the cap off and let direct sunlight fall on the tank. If the cap tube limits things too much, find a bright light source and put it inside the tank while the tank is somewhere dark.

If it has never been relined or repainted, you should be able to see the light coming through the walls of the tank, and that will show the pattern of the glass within the matrix. For info, here is a photo I took recently of the inside of a 1974 Sherpa T tank, before I relined it. The photo uses just the flash from the phone/camera. I don't have any photos showing the way the light penetrates the walls.

post-325-0-39035700-1372675500_thumb.jpg

furse: where are you from as I cant find the caswell stuff in Germany or in the UK ? Found a video on youtube that says Caswell is from New York.

feetupfun: I´ll be checking that out but I´m sure its going to be ***Fiberglas. The first non fiberglas tanks were I think the 1982 red one´s (I have one presently fitted on my 1981 white wonder which is almost a straight swap.

I have two 348s one with fibreglass tank one with alloy tankj and GRP cover. I restored the fibreglass tank, filled the chips, ground back and added fresh gel coat where it needed it and then sprayed the whole thing with 2K paint. looked lovely but the petrol fumes seem to bubble under the paint lifting it off in little round pieces.

I have another tank which is unpainted GRP (yellow) that is battered but perfect physical condition.

I suggest you get the ally tank welded, its a lot less fuss and if you start googling caswell you will find for every success story there is someone that got it wrong and ruined the tank.

simplest way is drain the tank when you are not using it.