Gas Gas 05 Boiling

gasserboy

Ive got a 280 05, and every time i ride a real steep climb or if the bike get hot hot, then coolant comes from the over flow, Radiator is clean, fan is coming on to a fashion but i think it may be coming in too late, any one had any problems?

Not sure but to me it sounds like you have a problem with your water pump.

Does happen occasionally and because the coolant doesn't get circulated it often causes it too heat up and boil. :P

Not a big job, just wip the water pump cover off and have a little investigation! :D

Most of he 05's have had dodgy thermostats on the bikes have been boiling over. Best bet is to call up gasgasuk and get an '04 thermostat.

If it not that then it will be your water pump, or you've got air in the system

Fair enough but the fan is working that means the thermostat is and there is no way it should just boil from practising.

There doesn't have to be oil in the coolant, often the water pump gear siezes, its worth a look m8!

Edited by jenkinsm

hmm, a mechanic thats hu dough bouy!!, dough bouy was there when it happend, wat u reckon it was? Ive a oreder the 04 thermostat kit this morning so ill give that a try!

jenks the fan is working but its coming on to late i reckon, the thermostat controls when the fan cuts in?

Edited by gasserboy

'Gasserboy' :P

The Gas Gas radiator system is as simple as you'll get! Youve got a dinky radiator, water pump, thermostat (which is your problem!), Hoses & coolent.

Its not going to be your radiator as there is nothing obvious from your description

Check yor hoses - that they are tight, no holes, rips etc.

Check your coolent level - although if it was low on coolant then the fan would cut in quickly(?), check for airleaks - p**s to bleed!

On the cap of your radiator, there is a valve where the overflow hose is. Check!

Doubt its your waterpump

Do the most obvious one & replace thermostat as it is a coincidence that 05 gasgas's have had thermostat problems!

Are you ridin the Alan on sunday? You aint got mch time! :D

Do anybody know what temp the thermo switches for different bikes or are they all the same temp. I have a spare thermo out of a 2000 280txt gasgas which switches at... oh bugger i cant find a thermometer... ok i will have to have a guess its around 75-85 long before boiling, the water is not hot enough to scold but hot enough to be uncomfortable if you stick your finger init.

Hi, You could try connecting the thermostat up all the time with a loop of wire, this way the fan would run continuously and so if this solves the problem is is definately a dodgy thermostat.

If the cooland level is low then surely the thermostat wouldn't work atall, doesn't it need to be submerged in water?

bob