Removing Footpegs

toxiic_pompey

As you can probably tell by my previous posts and topics, I'm pretty new to working on bikes.

I was looking for tutorials on changing my footpegs but I can only come across motorcross ones which use cotter pins and are very different from the ones I have. Does anyone have a video I can use to go off. I'm scared that if I remove my footpegs I won't be able to put them back on. (I haven't got a new pair yet)

Assume you have a digital camera or camera on your phone - use that and photo each stage, then you have a record of how to put it back together. You would be amazed at the wrongly assembled items i come across. Recently on a gasgas pro I found a washer/shim off the kickstart shaft on the clutch release bearing and on another, one of the rear brake pads put in wrong way round so its steel backing plate was pressing on the disc. It was only by chance I found this as the brake was working acceptably well.

Cheers

Hey lad

Just un do the 13mm nut on the back of the footrest bracket, push the bolt through and bingo! the pegs will slide out from the frame.

Just reverse the process to install the new ones watching that the springs locate and spring the footrest.

Hey lad

Just un do the 13mm nut on the back of the footrest bracket, push the bolt through and bingo! the pegs will slide out from the frame.

Just reverse the process to install the new ones watching that the springs locate and spring the footrest.

Thanks! Now to find a 13mm spanner... :P

have you got any wd40 or similar if so spray it on the nut let it soak for a few minutes then give it a bit more stick make sure the bike is steady you dont want to pull it onto yourself

Where in the Isle of Man do you live?

Andreas :)

have you got any wd40 or similar if so spray it on the nut let it soak for a few minutes then give it a bit more stick make sure the bike is steady you dont want to pull it onto yourself

Will Do :P

There are two types of nuts used to hold pegs on. 1) Regular hex nuts 2) Self-locking nuts.

Regular nuts can rust to the bolts making them difficult to remove. Usually a little penetrating oil will help. Worst case you break the bolt and replace with new bolt and nuts from the hardware store.

Self locking nuts have a nylon ring built in that grips the bolt threads. This can easily be overcome with a wrench (and hex key in the socket head). Self locking nuts are used because sometimes if you overtighten the nuts, the pegs will not pivot up when striking an object. So, you have to leave the nuts a little loose. Regular nuts would vibrate off, self locking will stay on.

The main thing to be aware of when removing pegs is the orientation of the spring. It must be installed so it is pushing the pegs to the down position.