Speedometer Options

happyhenry

I'm struggling to get the speedo sorted out on my Model 85 Alpina. It's getting too difficult to get a working one. Original mph ones are impossible to source.

I'm thinking of ditching the rear-wheel speedo drive unit and putting in a spacer (In Motion type).

I will need a speedo once I get it road registered - although it's not an MoT requirement it is a legal requirement. In theory, for a bike with a lighting system it needs to be illuminated - but I'm willing to take a risk on that one.

There are loads of bicycle speedos about - anyone got a recommendation?

Henry

Nigel - as I said, I don't need a speedo for the MoT. They aren't part of the test because if they were then every MoT station would have to have a legally calibrated rolling road. The only people who have the kit are VOSA.

FB - thanks for the offer. I need something self-powered as the lighting is now 12V AC direct. That's why I'm looking at bicycle units.

Try Sigma, they sells also in the US and have bicycle speedometers that are also illuminated and work very good, you can buy them with wire or without, (wireless is a benefit in my opinion).

I have Sigma bicycle speedometer as road legal equipment for my KTM and use Sigma speedos too for my bicycles, they are waterproof, very reliable, easy to install and much more accurate then the standard cable driven speedos.

Road registration for a 500cc KTM 2-stroke (former ISDT bike) with Sigma speedometer:

photo.jpg

The Sigma BC 1609 is with backlight but wire version,

The Sigma BC 1609 STS is also with backlight and wireless.

Edited by pschrauber