Starting Technique For '04 280Cc (Video Added)

sawtooth

yeah, please do and since you already made a video, make one doing it how I described, LOL!!

when you kill the bike in a section, while balanced you can start the bike, BUT you know you don't take the time to do what I told you to do when normally starting, you will get the lever out in a panic and kick in a adrenalin rush, without reguard to the parts inside... But, if you practice normal starting like I describe, this will mean the "once in a while, dead bike save" stresses will only happen once in a while. doing it like your video, it was "every time I kick it" in my humble opinion.

I am not bashing, but I want you to think and understand one thing. In your video, you kicked the bike 10 or more times, only 2 times in that video did I ever see you put anywhere near enough "effort" to start it, and I'm saying barely... it was kick 6 &8 by my count. The rest were "worthless" and actually less than worthless kicks

So, You have to know that everything, even steel parts have a "life cycle" of x number of uses, light-bulbs say xx number of hours then the filament burns out, however light-bulbs that stay turned on that whole life make it to the xx hours, those that get turned on/off a crap load of times (like the ones in your home) live about 1/3rd of that life expectancy. Wasting the # of times the kickers live with less than adequate motion, just wasted some life... IMHO. if you aren't going to get the RPM up, then sit down and rest, lol.

Kicking the bike poorly, wastes the life cycles. when you half aZZ kick, you might as well just sat down and watched TV, there is no way the poor old bike had a chance to start. it is about the SPEED of your kicker, not the weigh of your body pushing on the kicker, I hope you see what I mean.

Edited by sting32

I was doing the same thing when I first got my 300. I was kicking it like it was one of my KTMs. You have to be very deliberate ( without mashing the kicker) to get it to fire. One quick deliberate kick all the way through from the very top of the motion. Took me a while to get my GG technique down. Now I can start it 2 kicks cold, 1 kick hot...Warning..if you have any lower back issues the Jim Snell "sit down" technique threw my back out for about 2 months!..Try taking the bike off the stand and leaning it against a wall instead. Having both wheels solidly on the ground may help you.

That really helped me pick up the technique.

jim snells video is a good starting point for learnig the technique to starting your gasgas.

it helped me when i was starting mine all wrong, now my right leg is like a starter motor.

copy his mothed on the video and let it develop from there.

Ok have tried whats been said here and am still getting alot of kicks where it seems that the levers moving but the engine isn't, again it probably is my technique ( am used to kicking a big 450 supermoto). Will make another video tomorrow so you guys can see if my technique is any better than the first video.

No video today as I drained the oil to install a lighter clutch spring only to find some odd size bolts holding it in! Looks like a 7mm 12 point torx will do it but I cant find one anywhere! :-(

Actually if this is the bike pictured, you should just need a normal socket that is 12 point instead of the 8 point (boxed end wrenches come both ways, depending on what you buy...)

Here's example of a 12 point socket, wrenches come the same way 12 or 8 point on the "boxed end"

1ff1f6d8-8058-419a-a5dc-9e690b5d35d2_300.jpg

Edited by sting32

Ooh thanks, so a 7mm ring spanner should do it then? Just so happens thats the only size I don't have here at home, should have one in my toolbox at work so will hopefully get that done tomorrow then :-)