Cotton Bogwheeler

retro

Don't be so harsh OTF, you're hardly doing the sports reputation for friendly, helpful people any favours. It's possible the OP may be in the US (where bogwheeler could mean trials bike) and he doesn't know what he has.

Retro, does it have a Villiers or Minerelli engine. Villiers:

Cotton_1968_Trials.jpg

Minerelli:

Cotton_Trials_1968_with_Minarelli_Engine.jpg

Was it a trials bike (above) or the enduro bike:

0079.jpg

If it is a Minerelli engined bike was the Cavalier?

Cotton_Trials_Cavalier_175cc.jpg

Or the Cavalier with the fibreglass tank/seat?

LV12_r280_01.jpg

Retro, there is a Cotton owners club <http://www.cottonownersclub.com/> but they seem to concentrate on the pre WWII road bikes.

Edited by toofasttim

<Edit> I see you have found the owners club website and that are in Arkansas and you have a '68 Minerelli engined bike (my condolences!). I can't remember who the US importer was at the time but if memory serves they were fairly go ahead (watch on On any Sunday). You're best bet might be to try and make contact with him.

Edited by toofasttim

Thanks to all for the info(except OTF. OUCH!). What little info I have on the bike calls it a Cotton Bogwheeler 175cc. Exhaust is under the seat.

Minarelli engine. I need new rings or maybe a piston. Any ideas for Minarelli parts?

Thanks Much! U2 OTF

Retro

when i did mine, i used a piston and rings from a Indian 175 the Chaparal made bikes...youll find lots of engine parts through that sorce then any trials sorces.

they are however less then a good trials motorcycle.. unless you string tape in a parking lot...oh. thats AHRMA lol..

It would help if you were a bit more specific as "Cotton Bogwheeler" means bugger all !!! if you want help and I am sure some people will be happy to help then what year, model, engine, frame number, piccys etc might just get a sensible response. Good luck.

Just re read it what did I say to offend ? All I meant was as far as any records I could find no trials bike was ever marketed as a "bogwheeler". Probably the most stupid name ever, so far, was the OSSA Plonker who the hell thought of that one ?

OTF, your posting was terse and, IMO (and others it seems), didn't give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Bogwheeler was a colloquial term for a trials bike in the US in the 60's/70's. No shame on you for not knowing that but you could have worded your reply a bit more diplomatically. Or were you channelling Dabster? :)

Retro, I did some sniffing around yesterday and Motori Minerelli are still very much alive. In fact they're now bloody massive. If they still exist, someone, somewhere will carry spares.

Sadly, you own a POS. Desirable more as a memento of times gone by than as a decent, competitive machine. But, for historys sakes I hope you get her healthy and back in sections again.

Just re read it what did I say to offend ? All I meant was as far as any records I could find no trials bike was ever marketed as a "bogwheeler". Probably the most stupid name ever, so far, was the OSSA Plonker who the hell thought of that one ?

I think "Bogwheeler" is a pretty good name. A few trials clubs in the US called themselves Bogwheelers in the early 1970's Central Michigan Bogwheelers, Granite State Bogwheelers, San Diego Bogwheelers...etc.

There's also a current MX club in the UK called Bogwheelers.