New Bike - Things To Look Out For

99stewby

Hi there. Im new to the forum, the bike and trials in general so just looking for some advise.

Iv just bought myself a 2008 Sherco 250, it looks immaculate and seems to have been looked after very well, there's hardly a mark on it!

But obviously as with all off road bikes things will always go wrong so what common things should i be checking for and looking out for in the future?

Thanks a lot

Check / change gearbox oil, check coolant level, check fan comes on/off.

Brake pads, and fluid levels.

Wheel bearings.

Swinging arm / suspension bearings.

Spokes.

Don't wash with a pressure washer.

Wear sunscreen.

...fork seals for leakage

steering head bearings for play and grease

Kill switch that works reliably

pop a new spark plug in it

clutch and front brake lever position in from the end of the bars and have the required freeplay of brake/clutch lever movement to master cylinder piston movement

prime the kick start to the top of the compression stroke before pushing your kick/foot down will avoid broken kick start return springs :crying:

join a local club and enter the next trial available and enjoy :madnoel:

Thanks for the advise guys.

So I checked everything and all looked good.

We went out today and to begin with it was great, but after about half hour of riding the engine bogged down and died. It wouldn't restart so I change the plug and it fired first kick. Thinking it was sorted we went off again but 30 mins later same thing, it starts sounding slightly different, like it is poss misfiring and a slight knock when letting off the power then it bogs and dies. If left for 10 mins or so it will restart with choke and be ok for another 30 mins and do it again. I'm baffled. It runs absolutely spot on until it decides it wants to die.

Just wondered if this sounded familiar to anyone?

Thanks

If the stator is failing (which is very common on these shercos) it may cut out when hot, and restart once it has cooled off slightly.

However I would start with a full carb/filter clean & tank flush, then go from there.

Add ck to insure the tank vent tube is not blocked!