Sherco No Spark

0128winst

Hi I have a 2011 sherco 290. A couple of weeks ago I managed to submerge my bike nearly completely under water. After doing this and a lot of kicking over I managed to get it going, and went fine for the rest of the day. A week later I rode it and was fine but a week after that I had no spark. I have changed the plug and tested the kill switch. I took the flywheel cover off and found some water in there. I have cleaned the rust from the stator but still have no spark. Just wandering if anyone has any idea on what to test next, thanks!

I like to go to the simple [cheep] options first. On my Sherco and my mates Beta these are some of the faults we found on a number of different "no spark" occasions.

!-Faulty plug cap on lead to spark plug, or bad connection [screw the plug top on hard]

2-Cut back the lead to create a fresh clean end for the plug top to screw back into. [if its long enough]

3-Check all earth contacts and file clean. I found one bunch of earth wires up on the head stem above the radiator, cleaned them up and fixed the problem.

Then again it could be none of these. :wall:

Cheers Taff

Long story made short, if you have checked the basics and still no spark, ring up Splatshop if you are in UK, he can usually send you the necessary parts to try and you may return the unused parts.

Best I recall the "11 bike 290 still used the Leonelli ignition with the combined coil/ cdi unit, as compared to separate units on later bikes and different system. I would start there, then progress to the stator. Not pos on yours. Yet these are still easiest to change.

Water in itself cannot be good for a stator, however I have seen the covers half full because no one ever cheched them and the bike still ran. The key components being the hall sensors can fail, yet they are potted in well so water has little effect(in a perfect world).

Edited by copemech