Difficult To Start

cota kid

Over the last few weeks (trials) my 2005 Sherco 290 is becoming more difficult to start, needing 3 or 4 kicks to get it going, whereas before it would require only one kick. This happens even when the engine has been running for a while.

Any thoughts on what it may be?

thanks

Cota kid.......

I'd agree with what ishy says about plugged pilot jet , had a simular problem with my 04 290 took the carb apart cleaned everything with the air line and it's been the finest ever since , i didn't have any hot starting problems though so can't help there , maybee give the jets a clean and she how she goes :D

Gave the carb and jets a good clean, bit its still a bast**d to start. There's also a hell of compression when kicking her off.

Tried the choke on when hot but no difference.

Any further thoughts?

thanks

CK

Plug swap as well, I do clean my carb pretty frequently, don't forget while its out 18.5 on the float level. 33 pilot works best.

I do my carb every single time I power wash the bike, just in case. If I'm not going to have time to strip it off I don't wash it.

Every week I strip it off, jets out, quick blast with the compressor, but I've never ever checked the float level (of any bike for that matter) :D

Anybody care to give us a quick guide on best way to check or set up the float level?

Might seem a daft question to some, but you've either done it or you haven't :D

I used to say in the forces: "Any questions? There is no such thing as a stupid question".......... but I was proven wrong quite a few times :)

I've since found out that the spark is very weak to the point that I cannot see it! However when I put the plug back in it will still fire up after a few kicks.

My mechanical skills are somewhat limited and if it involves more than a squirt of WD40 then I struggle.

Hi Cota, Problem finding on bikes is usually a process of elimination. Start with your plug and try two or three and observe if there is a difference in the size and intensity of the spark. You may have a dodgy plug giving a weak spark. Next try the plug cap and lead and then the wiring. Is your kill switch playing up. Once started does the bike behave normally?

Edited by John.B

Cota Kid,

You mention a lot of compression. Is it compression, or kick back?. Where the kick starter throws you back up when it fires. If so, possibly the ignition timing has changed. The keyway that locates the flywheel may have sheared and allowed the timing to advance too far. The key only locates the flywheel ,and the taper on the crank is what locks the flywheel and does the driving. If the flywheel nut comes loose ,and the taper lets go, it shears the key off. Sorry if you know this already,? but it`s just my two bobs worth. Hope it helps.

ShercoH :D

Its kick back. I've checked a few plugs and the spark is so weak its untrue. The bike has been running fine once I get it started.

John B

Did you ride the Glaisdale trial? I did the Wainwright, which is tough, sections and it was extremely hot weather.

Hi Cota, did the Glaisdale one lapper. Rode the clubman B course which I enjoyed but the heat was awesome! Used my camelbak for drinks but wish I had hitched a sidecar to the Sherco and carried a 20 gallon water tank with me! Not ridden for eight months, combined with a 35 mile lap and near 30 degree temperatures nearly finished me off! I've seen the results from the Wainwright, looks like it was harder than last year.

Back to your bike, mine also has a habit of kicking back if I don't give it a confident kick. or if I am trying to kick it off on the side of a hill where it is not possible to give it a full swing. Seem to remember the old Montesa Cota 348 from the late 70's and early 80's used to do the same. Are you checking your spark outside in the daylight or inside a darkened garage? If outside at this time of year even a good spark would appear weak. Check to make sure all of your electric connections are tight and it might be worth taking off the flywheel cover to see if any dampness has got in. The o-ring on the cover can dislodge if it is hit hard by a rock, which would let in water when you pressure wash it. I applied silicone to mine and also siliconed all the electric connections to keep out the water. The water proofing from Sherco is virtually non-existant.

Another possibility which has been mentioned previously is the pilot jet. It has got a lot warmer in the last four weeks causing the mixture to weaken.

May be your bike has an undersize pilot jet or a jet that has not been fully drilled out properly which is making the bottom end weaker than it should be. I clean the pilot jet before every trial as this jet has a serious effect on the bottom end pick up and on starting. Did you blow air down the pilot jet housing as this can become clogged with slime if water has entered your airbox. Also kill switches can sometimes cause problems, see if it is possible to dissconnect it.

Glad to see your back on your bike. :D

If anything the bike is running a little rich, but otherwise its running spot on. I've checked the tightness of the connections and had the flywheel cover off. A tiny bit of condensation but nothing else. I might take the carb off again, although I do not think its fuel related. From what I've picked up it seems like the ignition timing has advanced, not sure how though.

Are you riding this weekend?

If your ignition has advanced then this normally causes pinking. In fourth gear with low revs and the engine under load is the engine pinking(described like a rattling noise) when you try to accelerate.

john B - Not that I'm aware of. I'll give it a try Sunday.

Honda RS - I've looked over the wiring to make sure its connected properly. again it seems okay.

As regards water, this is probably could be a problem, as I drowned it a few weeks ago.