Trials Bike Insurance

physco

could any body tell me the cheapest way to insure trials machines on just a frame no and not the registation no.i have done this for years but now my insurance brocker says this is not possible.i have more than one machine and i do not want to insure them all on each registration no just on one insurance document.is this still possible.

It wouldnt let me insure me bike online at bennetts until i had a registration number. So off down to dvla in preston and i registered my bike for off road use only (cost nothing surprisingly!) and they issued me a Q plate registration after half an hour debating what to do! seems its different in every dvla!

could any body tell me the cheapest way to insure trials machines on just a frame no and not the registation no.i have done this for years but now my insurance brocker says this is not possible.i have more than one machine and i do not want to insure them all on each registration no just on one insurance document.is this still possible.

Apparently the rules were changed recently, as only dealers can register a new bike!

I couldn't insure mine on a frame number and couldn't get a Reg. number until I had insurance :D Went back to the dealer and they sorted it all out for me, not sure how you would do it for used bikes though...

• 3 weeks later...

Registered my new Beta in June no problems. Local brocker issued a cover note on the frame number, took the cover note, driving licence, proof of ID and the cert of newness to DVLA at Worcester.

You will have to take a ticket and wait your turn, but I left with a tax disc and a registration number no trouble at all. Log book turned up a few days later.

• 2 weeks later...

'Dealer can only do it' me smells a scam. :wacko:

I insured mine through Carol Nash a couple of months ago and they were fine with just a chassis number !! Eventually even got round to registering it too in the end with the dvla.

;)

If it does have to be done by a dealer, the rules must have been changed in the last month. I definately registered mine myself at the DVLA office in Worcester. I have also registered a Yamaha Enduro bike this year.

The only difference with that was DVLA wanted to see the bike, so I made an appointment and took it back a few days later.

As everything was in order (frame number etc.) I left on that occasion with a tax disc and reg number.

I can't comment on any recent rule changes, but that is what happened in June.

The only draw back with all this is you have to sit there and queue up yourself and that takes hours.