Hot Headed

buster

Three years ago I purchased an NZI Carbon Fiber helmet on the recommendation of friends...whom I now disown.

It's a good helmet; light, sorta stylish, and...light. But other than that, I have been rather disappointed in its quality. The buckle rusted within the first few weeks, making it hard to snap on and off. Then the plastic cover over the buckle shattered, exacerbating the annoyance level and thumb pain. The visor seems to splinter from impacts with any object larger than a boson. And of course, the liner is not removable for washing. After a good weekend's riding in the summer I smell like a rolling cheese factory.

So, time for a new lid.

Now, I really REALLY would like a helmet with good ventilation. Because of the unusual ammout of fatty deposits surrounding my skull, I tend to build up heat faster than a Saturn-V booster rocket.

Anyway, I was all set to peruse the offerings of any non-NZI helmet out there, when I saw the "NZI Trivent Helmet". It looks cool! As in, not hot to wear. And I want that desperately.

Now, although I SWORE I would not put up with any crummy buckle/visor/liner fiascos again...I just love the heat dissipating qualities all that mesh promises! So I am thinking about a new NZI again.

But first I thought I'd ask the gang here their opinion.

So, gang, do any of you own this helmet? Is it any good? Does it do anything for the temperature of your noggin? Conversely, does anyone know of a (better buckled, removable lidded) manufacturer who makes anything similar?

Thanks much!

i agree with harrytrialsboy.the airoh rock is great .i,ve got the matt black one which i wouldn,t recommend shows every mark,scratch etc go for another colour .very comfy and light .i also liked the look of the blue hebo ones but just didn,t fit as me as well as the airoh rock .try a few different types on first i found quite a bit of difference in the fit of various makes .hope this helps

i got a carbon hebo (grey with the black stuff on the back),when igo slow & steep downhill everything becomes a blur as the torrent rushes past. I'm gonna have a look at a tri vent, ithink nzi do them.

I have the Bieffe carbon/kevlar helmet in silver, well made & not too heavy plus a vented shell so not too hot, most important thing though is that the fit is brilliant.

MRS Malcolm Rathmell is the Bieffe importer but not sure if the name has changed though.

Thanks again for the additional responses, guys. All very helpful :D

It seems that Airoh helmets are not available in the States - at least not that I've been able to find via various web searches. Euro only, alas. Shame, as they seem an excellent lid...and call to my Italian roots.

PeterXmas - never heard of that brand....or BVM's website for that matter. Could you point me towards their link? Cheers!

My wife uses a Bieffe, and loves it, but it definitely seems pounds heavier than the NZI. Although I'm sure the newer carbon/kevlar is indeed better on that score. Thanks for the tip, TRFun, I'll have to add that to the list!

I really like the look of the Arai the more I see the pics and read on other sites about their superb fit. If I can find a dealer, and the cost is less than my first car ($300), I will give that serious consideration.

Hey - anybody have experience drilling out the shells for additional ventilation? Just curious.

Thanks again everyone. You've all been tremendously helpful!

Wow r2, that's some mate you have there!

Thanks so much for the link - it was a treat. Fantastic to see a site where the weights of each helmet was listed also. The Premier 'Free' and Airoh really look sharp. Seems like they are not sold on this side of the Atlantic though, so I will probably be restricted to one of the others. Which may not be so bad judging from all the responses here. Seems like EVERY manufacturer has its supporters here.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it :D

Hi Buster...

dont forget if you buy from BVM they will discount the VAT (since you're not in the UK)....VAT is 17.5 percent.

THen even after shipping..(BVM are very reasonable on that too) you might still find the Airoh to be a good buy.

Some guys here in HK have bought lids from abroad, regardless of the possible sizing problems, and just sold them on to a mate if it didnt fit them.

Although I'm an out and out Arai fan, the Airoh does seem to be the only lid I've seen that comes close or maybe even equals the Arai.

If one doesnt fit you and they are not available near you, then I would say with the excellent quality of them and their desireablility, you'd have no problems selling it on to a mate.!! :D

Helmets are a little like boots only more so, insomuch as the fit varies from person to person, not helmet to helmet. I bought a Premier and then spent some tome chopping the liner about to make it confortable enough to wear for more than a few minutes. Similarily I just felt pressure in all the wrong places with an Arai so even though I could get one cheap wouldn't buy it. Because the Shoei fitted me nice I bought that.

Now as far as ventilation goes it is great when riding on the loop, but not that cool when practicing even though it has vents which you can open. When riding in france over the last few summers it has been more than acceptable, best of all, and this is a must for sweatty conditions it has a removable liner.

There is only one way to find a good fit and that is make sure you try the helmet you are thinking of buying on for a good few minutes at least.