Best Bike

nottoogood

OK, newbie here, umm.. check that, OLD newbie here...

I have seen the Ossa on line, and it is believed they are attainable in the states here. Now, the question is, are they worth it? I have always liked the GasGas, and i do lean to that, but that Ossa is just the bee's knees to me. I love and am a sucker for new tech, and that motor has me itchy to take it apart... Not that I will, right off, but I will sooner or later, if nothing more than I will contrive a fault I want to fix... yeah, I guess I am that bad... I keep all of my bikes well past their prime and I am at least still loving the ownership of them, if not the competitive edge. Is the Ossa worth the extra money? Is it a proven motor? Tell me the likes and dislikes guys... help?

Ossa has lot's of new tech from the fuel injection to the bonded (glued) frame. They also have one bit that's really impressive and that is the ability to remove the gearbox without splitting the cases.

http://www.ossauk.co.uk/users/UserFiles/File/trans.pdf

Seriously how cool is that? I was so close to buying one.

• Like 1

Well, extra money is exactly that, extra... Umm... But if I let the wife know how much I am willing to spend on this next new toy,I might not have a next new toy due to the EXTRA cost of the lawyer I would then need...

See? It comes down to extra, and how you define the word.... ;-)

Blip...

Biffsgasgas was able to get a ride on a JotaGas, and he told me it was really nice, somewhat like having a GasGas engine in a Beta frame.

Yep it was a good bike. Jordi has some work to do on it with geometry and the such but I think once they get a hold and dealership base on this side of the pond you will see more of them.

Ossa on the other hand felt wayyy heavy to me. Rode one in Canada. Not a fan but love the out of the box thinking.

That Beta 4 stroke is like a sewing machine and thanks to Firstgear there are about 6 or 7 of them in Mich now?

They all break. They all compete. Just get out there and have fun on what ever your heart desires.

I am into GasGas too deep frankly. If I changed brands I wouldn't be able to find any clothes to wear. I would have to change all of my passwords and user names. I would have to change my future childrens names. I would not have any coffee or beer mugs to drink out of. I wouldn't have any art on the walls of my house and garage. I would have to remove 80% of the stickers from my car. The post office wouldn't have any reason to visit me. My cat wouldn't recognize what that strange machine was in the living room. I would have to throw out the video collection. My girlfriend would suspect that I went on a bender and lost my mind. The family would probably hold an intervention thinking that I was on crack. I would have to move down 2 classes just to figure out how to ride again. I would overwhelm the trash guy with all of my spare bits for a week or two. The neighbors would have thought I had moved. My coworkers would have thought I gave up on proper design intent due to my lack of rambleing on about "If it ain't broke don't fix it". My boots would not know where the foot pegs were. The trailer would become stressed due to the change in wheel base or weight distribution. He!! would have frozen over, zombies would take hold, and we would all be struggleing to survive.

Yea that would be a disaster...

--Biff

• Like 6

They all break. They all compete. Just get out there and have fun on what ever your heart desires.

I am into GasGas too deep frankly. If I changed brands I wouldn't be able to find any clothes to wear. I would have to change all of my passwords and user names. I would have to change my future childrens names. I would not have any coffee or beer mugs to drink out of. I wouldn't have any art on the walls of my house and garage. I would have to remove 80% of the stickers from my car. The post office wouldn't have any reason to visit me. My cat wouldn't recognize what that strange machine was in the living room. I would have to throw out the video collection. My girlfriend would suspect that I went on a bender and lost my mind. The family would probably hold an intervention thinking that I was on crack. I would have to move down 2 classes just to figure out how to ride again. I would overwhelm the trash guy with all of my spare bits for a week or two. The neighbors would have thought I had moved. My coworkers would have thought I gave up on proper design intent due to my lack of rambleing on about "If it ain't broke don't fix it". My boots would not know where the foot pegs were. The trailer would become stressed due to the change in wheel base or weight distribution. He!! would have frozen over, zombies would take hold, and we would all be struggling to survive.

Yea that would be a disaster...

--Biff

Sounds a lot like me! LOL. Spares, that is the problem, what is a half bent 02 gasgas clutch lever worth? I keep stuff, you never know, and it takes years to accumulate everything for new brands, bent broken or new, they are all spares, most of them you paid full price for to have in your possession, even though they are bent and what have ya... hard to have that handy for another brand, unless you are rich/lottery winner? or at least single, so you don't have to spend the requisite 1.5 x the total you just spent on yourself, right? lol.

what I hated most was the "cool" gear that is now "out of style?" not that I care much, I rode with jeans and tshirts for a long time. But, had hoped the "raga" at least would be gold colored, for more than just one year! as bought the GOLD shirt and pants, what was that about $250.oo USD, wasted? lol. I mean it would be like Ossa changing colors, all that green gear everyone has is toast, lol

least the old black/red gear I had from about 2007-08 still fit. 08 Raga paint was still the prettiest they ever have done, IMHO.

hehehee.

Edited by sting32
  • Like 1

Ossa has lot's of new tech from the fuel injection to the bonded (glued) frame. They also have one bit that's really impressive and that is the ability to remove the gearbox without splitting the cases.

http://www.ossauk.co.../File/trans.pdf

Seriously how cool is that? I was so close to buying one.

Cassette transmission.

Not new to motorcycling by any means, but new to trials.

Good on Ossa for looking outside the world of trials.

Amazing how much of this stuff takes awhile to cross over...an enduro guy I know (KTM and Kawasaki KDX) was shocked that I can change crank seals without splitting the engine.

I was equally shocked!

You have to split the engine to do crank seals?!?!?!

Of course, a lot of those guys do crank bearings EVERY SEASON!

He's a better rider than that video showed him to be, I suspect that he was trying to do something, like throw himself farther down the hill, or something. And, he's like 6ft 2 or more tall too, something silly went wrong.

I do recall watching the "No Fear" in him as he rocketed up a 50ft cliff behind our camper, and cleared the top by at least 10+ ft, lol.

Shirt?

• 2 weeks later...

I really have to laugh at Ossa, same as gassers - why not just make a reliable gearbox in the first place?

Casette gearboxes are for rapid / frequent ration changes as in road racing

Reliable gearboxes are heavier. Although heavy gearboxes are not necessarily reliable.