How Much Preparation?

betaboy100

Oright guys, so i used to do trials a while back on a 125cc gasgas but i lost interest so sold it..

Anyway recently i bought a beta evo 2011 290cc and was wondering how much preparation and training it will take before going back into the trials? I need to know what kind of things should i take with me to the trial? Anything essential, other than extra fuel? And i want to ride the intermediate route eventually so how much training (i train twice a week) will that take to get to that level approximately?

Thats almost impossible to answer.

Iv been on trials for just over 4 months. Ive been on bikes since I was 5. As you have read, I ride between 1 and 2 hours every day. By the end of the year, I would have competed in 4 events. Thats my basic plan for the next few months.

Im working my @ss off to be able to move into intermediates next year when I renew my club fees and competition license. Currently, im wondering if I will be ready but im desperate to climb the ladder and learn and get the opportunity to ride the fun lines. I would like to be competent enough to go through a funky section instead of having to do the boring line.

I would rather fail at fun/challenging sections than master easy ones.

Keep in mind im a beginner myself. Vids of your progress will be easier to give you advice.

So how about some vids :)

Edited by mokwepa
  • Like 1

how old are you? you work go to school? train on the bike 4 to 5 hours a day? have top level practice buddies?

ride ride ride, the best way to get in shape for riding is riding. if your over 18 years of age you need to do stretching exercise the most. cardio 2nd you don't need big bulky muscles you need to be light fit and limber. if your over 30 just ride on weekends and have fun like the rest of us. it's a hobby it's fun. don't get me wrong i'm pretty competitive and so is everyone else you will meet in trials but. toni bou adam raga we are not. the benefit of being fit and riding trials it keeps me fit keeps me young.

i can do more than most guys my age and i'm not in shape like i was just a few short years ago. ride have fun. most guys my age are sitting watching the game on the tube and look like old fat men, i refuse to do that.

rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, both of you! :D Is there anything i should take with me in my van to the trial when i do decide to go? At the moment i am unable to go to the trials as i am only 16 and ride a 290cc bike but next year i will be able to so these next few month i will train, and then next year give it my best shot in the competitions! :D I ride a few times a few, probably likes three times a week, maximum! So in total around 12 hours per week of training!:) I do have 1 riding buddy who is perfect for me to ride with as he just a little better than me but not too much better than me that the sections are unavailable for me to do but with him being a tiny bit better than me it brings the competitive side of me out and makes me try even harder to get a clean over the course or makes me do a bigger rock or log etc. I use the gym regularly and i only do cardio to keep myself in shape!:) Mokwepa, how hard is the intermediate route over there?? :) Thanks for replying guys!:)

betaboy - good idea to take some basic tools with you: allen keys, spanners (for example I like to know I can adjust the chain tension part way through a trial if necessary), spark plug spanner, screwdriver, low pressure tyre gauge and pump, some tie wraps, adhesive tape, spare fuel, and a rag for general wiping up before/after any work you find yourself needing to do on the day.

Parts such as handlebars/levers/gear lever if you have them (in case of needing to replace them after an unplanned get-off) can be useful.

No-one seems to carry any tools with them while riding these days, whereas when I started many years ago it was pretty much compulsory, and admittedly never seem to have mechanical problems either, but I like to know I have the means to carry out minor repairs with say a tie wrap or tape at least until I can get back to the car.

The Beta importer in SA turned 69 this year, Graham Harris. My pops is riding his 13 evo semi factory as he moved onto a full house factory 2013. Graham introduced me and my pops to modern trials and gave us a basic lesson.

Ive seen him ride (intermediate) in the flesh and he is unbelievable. Proof that technique beats all else.