Bike Size Vs Rider Size

saluki

I'm completely new to trials and I'm looking for my 1st bike. As a fairly big guy - 250lbs, 6'1" - I'm thinking I would need a larger bike. However a friend of mine said that as a novice, I'd find a small bike much easier to ride and handle and suggested that I start with something like a 125. Is this crazy or is my buddy right? Would a good 125 really be able to haul me thru a section? Or should I shoot for something like a 250 - 300?

I am 6' 250# and would suggest a 250 or 280.

Starting with a 125 will force you to focus on learning good riding technique, which is a good thing, but you need to use a lot more RPM's to get power for hills or obstacles.

In my opinion, the 300's are so much more responsive they are best used by skilled riders who need the maximum power to ride huge obstacles. Too much machine can be very challenging for new riders who have not developed the high level of skill to manage them.

I occasionally have to get off my bike and get on my son's 1265 (Sherco) to get him through/over/up something and it is a VERY different style of riding, often using lots of revs and dumping of the clutch.

The 200's that I've ridden lately ('01 Sherco, '03 GG) wereMuch different than the 125.

I guess they have a longer stroke motor and feel much more like a big bike.

I understand the Beta 200 is excellent, as well.

If I could have any bike, I'd go for one of the 200's.

They haul me (190#) up anything I care to attempt and have very useable power giving great control in tight turns and slippery conditions.

I am 200lbs and ride a 250. I am a total newb. I think a 250 is a good size. The other day I borrowed a 2001 GasGas 280 and I wouldn't recommend the 280 for a beginner. It was much "zippier" than my old 250. I found it hard to control at slow speeds and I over shot several tight turns because of the way it surged forward.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...