Should My Starter Shaft Move Like This? (Video)

sawtooth

Sawtooth,

One thing I know, starting the big bore bikes at or near TDC, like some do, seems to ME, is bad practice, if you jump up and then down on the starter, cracks cases? it really needs to be "back and down" on the starter. I also post this everywhere, but every time I start my '12 raga 300 I like to rock the bike to where the piston has passed TDC (which is technically rolling engine backwards approaching TDC in reverse) then kick the bike in a fluid motion, less stress on all the starting parts, and getting the piston to start moving from dead stop when it is up against compression. of course it is a learned thing.

Thanks yeah I do actually already rock the bike (finishing with a reverse movement), then kick it but obviously mid obstacle or section you can't do that if stalled. I'll upload a vid of how I typically start it over the weekend so you can see if I'm doing it right. I know I must have some bad habits as I also own a 450 supermoto which requires the tdc method.

No your good, hell I post a lot, forget where all I post, that "tip" should be in my sig... lol.

I agree about the "saving it in section" and I am hoping I am saving up any abuse I could have been giving the kicker, so I can abuse it a couple times if I need to, know what I mean? :popcorn:

I kick in a fluid motion, I either start the bike on the stand, or standing on the left peg (balance! yay!) or standing on left peg leaning against something.

This gets my body up higher and then I place foot on kickstart, slowly push down until it engages and then smooth, fluid, strong motion kick through. Usually starts by the 2nd kick from cold. 1st kick warm.

Never "stab" or "jab" the kickstart. that's bad!! :o