Question To Those Using Longer Springs In '79 Sherpa Forks !

gregr

Hi Greg. I am in Australia and I use 15 weight fork oil in my Bultaco forks. I also put 190 ml in each of them. I think the forks on mine are M151 forks. This works for me with In Motion fork springs. Being a lot colder in England you might have to go lighter. Graham.

Cheers for that Graham , will go for the same ... no worries on the temperature I don't ride the 'taco in the winter , I just put the fork cap on one leg and was prepared for a fight with compressing the longer spring , but was pleasantly surprised how well it went together and still have my front teeth ... proof will be the next classic in a few weeks time.

Greg

'will get there'

• Like 2

Hi Tony , the springs where c/o InMotion and are 500mm long , which means compressing them into the legs , Dave/Pete have told me to use 180ml of 15wht , also fitting new Newfren shoes and looking to see how I can move the foot pegs {without cutting into the frame} , lots to do but out again in a few weeks time and hoping the mod's make a difference.

Cheers Greg

Thanks for the message Greg, I found some 5/10/20 w fork oil in our store today so went with 10 and put in 190, I'll let you know if it feels any different. Forgot to measure my spring though remember the come level so prob std. Think thats what shoes I have in my brake too. Just got to sort out sparks on mine then I'll be out on it?

Thanks

Tony

IMG_6519.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony , back from a test ride , forks feel good with the longer springs + 180ml 15wt oil ... bike feels a bit more balanced to the new rear shocks ... real test this weekend , but before then got to get the mid-range jetting sorted !

Greg

Ok weekend report , for as much riding as I got the front end feels really well planted now and bike now goes where I want it too , pity the carb / spark / engining running rough ruined what should have been a good day !