Carb

wonder boy

Right I have a problem, my bike is a 2005 Beta 250 and the problem is the carb. The left overflow (near the middle exhaust) seems to always have fuel poring out of it. If it is at any sort of angle meaning face down the way, up the way or even left, fuel will start poring out of the left overflow. I have striped the carb down made sure the float level is parallel to the plane of the the carburetor and cleaned out all the jets and making sure there is no dirt in the carb to stop things working. It is a big problem because after about 10 mins of normal riding I

has always been a common problem with betas,normally only when not running, and parked at silly angles(doesnt mean on its side though) i am not sure if there is a cure, and if there is, then how to cure it, but i do know a solution.

get a different bike!!!

essentially the beta is a 5 year old bike, of course they are gonna have problems, jsut like when people get too old, they start p***ing themselves.

has always been a common problem with betas,normally only when not running, and parked at silly angles(doesnt mean on its side though) i am not sure if there is a cure, and if there is, then how to cure it, but i do know a solution.

get a different bike!!!

essentially the beta is a 5 year old bike, of course they are gonna have problems, jsut like when people get too old, they start p***ing themselves.

5yr old bike? :D Yes, some of the Mikuni carbs leak but not all of them. They usually leak out of the 'choke' side vent - if it's leaking out the exhaust side then maybe the pipe is melted and it's creating a syphoning effect.

Gav, pull the carb off and gently warm the copper/brass spigot and bend it towards the front wheel (try not to kink it or break it). Replace the vent pipe and see if that cures it. If not, add a longer vent pipe and connect it to the spigot underneath the carb bowl. The other vent should allow enough air in to let petrol the out.

It sounds like youre floats are sticking, i would take the carb off again and make sure they move up and down easily and that the float level arm is working properly. Also if you are ever out in the middle of nowhere and it starts leaking you can try tapping the float bowl with a stone.

Finally never connect the carb oveflow on a Mikuni carb to vent tubes on the side, as if you do this and the float/needle is damaged, and you dont switch the fuel off, you could end up with an engine filled with petrol, which may have disasterous results.

Hmm, it worked fine for my 02 Beta but I suppose what you are saying does make sense :D Gav, hit it with yer hammer :D

Gavin... this topic (and the solution) have been covered soooo many times in this forum it gives me tired-head.

Search the BETA forum for 'dribbling carb', or float level, or whatever and you should find several discussions about this topic along with pictures about how to fashion an overflow solution and pictures about how to set the floats. Make sure to set your search timing to "ANY DATE"

The link to the discussion about the overflow solution, with the pictures is here.

The float level discussion is here.

edit

Andy... is there a way to make these two threads "sticky"?

Edited by clarkp

get a different bike!!!

jj, do you ride a Sherco or GasGas by any chance? Gav, if you spend much time in the Beta forum you'll find that for any technical question, a Sherco or GasGas owner (usually Sherco to be fair) will jump in with a sarcasic comment. No idea why because it doesn't seem to happen anywhere else.

Mr jjwhite, if you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't bother OK? Thanks.

Like clarkp says, the fix is quick and easy. Yes it's a pain that it isn't sorted at the factory and it doesn't seem to affact all bikes (my old 270 dribbled like crazy at first, my new 200 doesn't at all) but there you go.