I've Killed My Montesa! Rebuild Advice Needed

plugman

After an extremely wet and muddy enduro on the weekend that I ended up doing on my 315R as my enduro bike decided to pack up also my montesa decided to die on me!

Basically the air box had a fair amount of mud and water inside of it, inside the head it is also very wet and a bit muddy also.

Is there any chance that I would be able to get this running again? It was running ok at the end of the enduro and it is after it has sat for 2 days while I was working that now after clearing out the airbox and changing the engine oil (which didn't look too bad) that the bike will not start (no signs of life on kick).

If there is a chance that I could get the bike running again does anyone have any advice on what I should be using to clean the engine off and what, if any, sprays or substances I should be leaving inside the engine casing?

Or overall any general advice as to what steps I should be taking from here?

water and mud inside the head too,,,,,,,? ( you brut)

have you checked the cheap stuff first,

plug,

earth leads and connections.?

Spark is ok, new gearbox oil, airbox & filter are clear & dry, fuel is good. I think the best first step will be wire wool & clearing out the head & then putting all the bits back together to see if this fixes the issue (hopefully!)

have you cleaned the carb out properly, and give it a good blast with an airline,?

Yes, another part I forgot to mention - removed carb - cleaned all up with carb cleaner, made sure jets were clear - still wouldn't start - then I went straight to removing head. The carb wasn't in such a bad state, at least not considering what the head looks like! A bit of mud around the inside of the main air in/out sections but hardly any crap down the bottom or anywhere else.

After an extremely wet and muddy enduro on the weekend that I ended up doing on my 315R as my enduro bike decided to pack up also my montesa decided to die on me!

Basically the air box had a fair amount of mud and water inside of it, inside the head it is also very wet and a bit muddy also.

Is there any chance that I would be able to get this running again? It was running ok at the end of the enduro and it is after it has sat for 2 days while I was working that now after clearing out the airbox and changing the engine oil (which didn't look too bad) that the bike will not start (no signs of life on kick).

If there is a chance that I could get the bike running again does anyone have any advice on what I should be using to clean the engine off and what, if any, sprays or substances I should be leaving inside the engine casing?

Or overall any general advice as to what steps I should be taking from here?

When you see that, you don't try to start the engine, you remove the head first to assess the damage, clean everything, repair when necessary and then you try to start her...

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

If you choose to use your trials bike for an enduro again you may want to re think your fuel/oil ratio for such events.

I didn't actually intend to use the bike for an enduro but after the effort that I had put in getting everything ready & prepared that week to have issues on my enduro bike on the day of the event I wasn't going to give up that easily! What fuel/oil ration would you recommend? I usually run 80:1 on trial events.

Some MX bikes use between 32:1 and 40:1, but if you are not running it that hard then perhaps something closer to 50:1 would provide better protection for enduro riding. Maybe someone else can give a more expert opinion. The oil helps dissipate heat so the harder you run the more oil you should mix. You could check your enduro manual (if it is a 2 stroke) and see what it recommends, that should give you a guide.