Jtx 250 Fork Preload Spacer

unicronicus

I have a problem with fork sag on my 1997 jtx 250, as in the static sag is way too excessive, somewhere in the region of an inch! I have heard that I can just make a longer preload spacer out of some 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe, but I have a concern... I don't think I will be able to remove the top damping adjuster of each fork leg to remove this spacer because the Allen bolts holding them in look rounded off. So, is it possible to make up a 10mm spacer out of this PVC pipe, make a slit down the side of it and put it on top of the original spacer that way? My reasoning is that once the forks are assembled again the fork tube will keep it from ever coming off. Sound feasible?

No pics I'm afraid. I have had them apart to change the fork oil seals and holders in each leg, I was hoping by sorting the leaky forks that the sag might be better but this is not the case. So can I not slide in a new 10mm spacer using the slit down one side method without draining the oil again? I thought I might be able to undo the top nut and compress the forks to reveal the spring...?

I tried to reply on the other day but the post got lost. Just a plastic spacer off a water pipe will do. Somewhere from 10-20mm. I would just pull the top off the springs. It can be done without everything coming apart. The slit idea leaves too much room for failure.

You need to undo the triple trees or fork leg clamps to be able,to remove or adust the preload spacer,or at least the top clamps to be able to release the large top caps,which in turn allows the springs to pop through,then if you get that far,compress the spring to make visable the lock nut no 19 in diagram,then slacken that off just a little,then try and grip the same threaded rod futher down while unscrewing no5,GASGAS.jpgwhich will enable you to remove or replace the spacer tubes.Hope this makes sence.

Edited by bilks

You could unscrew using the large cap screw,with a large socket,the spacer tube fits betwwen no 5 and the large spacer washer just above the spring,but it should unscrew by hand,no need to touch anything else above 5.

Edited by bilks