Tip Of The Day

mik60ish

Tip of the Day

When you change your oil to remove the remaining metal filings left on the magnetic drain plug, just tear of 6" of masking tape or insulation tape and dab that on there a few times it will remove all the stuborn metal bits. Then its clean and you can replenish with your new oil.

Cheers Mike

• Like 4

Well, Phooey! :blush:

Now, I'm not sure I can totally commit to this Tip fo The Day! It works very well, and easily shortened the amount of tiime it takes to change my bike's oil. But my wife found out about this, and now has gleefully made plans for me & "My Time"!!!! :shutup:

Since It decreased my "Barn Time with My Bike", she feels that I now have more "free" time to mow the grass, help with laundry, paint the house, & other such chores I've dodged for years!!

As such, I've become almost "domesticated"...... :crying: No more hours spent in the barn, pumping the clutch lever on my Gas Gas :wub: while pretending to do balance practice with the stand down, drinking the beer she didn't know I had, while smoking cigars and listening to classic rock...... My life is ruined now..... If you post any more Tips Mike, I may never have time to work on my bike again! :stupid:

Jimmie

• Like 1

Seriously Mr Neutron

Why on earth would you allow your significant other to see any mans time saving tips

As a man it is your duty to lie and hide this from any and all females

Perhaps we need a more secure method of sharing these tips so they don't fall into enemy hands :)

• Like 2

Dang Jimmie, I thought for a minute your wife wanted you to use the tape trick to save money on Brazilians!

Now, I'm not sure I can totally commit to this Tip fo The Day! It works very well, and easily shortened the amount of tiime it takes to change my bike's oil. But my wife found out about this, and now has gleefully made plans for me & "My Time"!!!! :shutup:

Since It decreased my "Barn Time with My Bike", she feels that I now have more "free" time to mow the grass, help with laundry, paint the house, & other such chores I've dodged for years!!

As such, I've become almost "domesticated"...... :crying: No more hours spent in the barn, pumping the clutch lever on my Gas Gas :wub: while pretending to do balance practice with the stand down, drinking the beer she didn't know I had, while smoking cigars and listening to classic rock...... My life is ruined now..... If you post any more Tips Mike, I may never have time to work on my bike again! :stupid:

Jimmie

• Like 1

Jimmie

Jimmie you need to perfect the guy response of "That guy knows nothing, My method is the best method out there here are the reasons why it can't be done that way" And then list off a bunch of BS that sounds technical.

The main reason this will shorten the life of the gearbox is that the residual glue from the tape left on the oil plug will react with the oil in the gearbox causing nasty bits of acids to form and eat away at the gears. This will weaken the gears and they will fail, IE broken teeth, cracked gears etc.. Now dear wifey you won't want me to have to buy a new set of gears for the transmission would you?

Secondly If bits of the tape get into the gearbox this would be even more catastrophic, in the form of even more glue in the gearbox to react with and that piece of tape could get stuck between the gears. The tolerance between the gears is so tight that the piece of tape will cause the two gears to push apart enough to destroy the bearings for the shaft that the gears are on. That is why the oil plug is magnetic so that any metal bits will immediately go to the magnet instead of between the gears. The tape is not magnetic and will just float around the gearbox.

Sling some BS and sound knowledgable.................works for people I work with....

I will plead "no first hand knowledge" about Jimmie's grooming habits. But he did say he spent a lot of time alone in the barn with his bike...... Maybe squeezing his clutch lever or maybe trying the tape trick!

Ummm, hey.....are you saying Mr Neutron gives himself Brazilians?

:chairfall:

Man, you folks seriously crack me up!!! :icon_salut::hyper:

But I have to plead ignorance here (pretty easy thing to do for me.... shere's broccoli plants out there with higher IQs than I have.....)......

That's_a_five, what do you mean by "Brazillians"????? (I really don't smoke cigars, so have no real knowledge about them, if that's what was referred to.....) ( I also don't actually have a wife that is "domineering:" like I wrote about above, but it is fun to yak about.... She's actually a decent rider on her own CRF100.....)

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

Okay, thanks, I understand now! :thumbup: A good tip of the day for me might be to not get caught lookin' at those Brazillian women's parts you mentioned, hee hee..... :boobies: Even if I claim "scientific research" on the tape deal, I'm certain Mrs. Neutron won't be too understanding about that.... :stupid:

Side note: to Bill: You think you or Barry will make the trial in OR City on the 10th? I'm hoping I can get a rear brake line in time to ride that one.....

Jimmie

• Like 2

HI Jimmie,

Barry might be coming. I am still in China returning on the 11th so not gonna work for me. You try Lewissport for the brake line? They usually have pretty good part availability. Other choice take the old one to a good hydraulics shop and they might be able to make one up for you.

Keep your feet up.