Fitting A Full Clutch Kit

lockie28

How easy is it to fit the complete clutch kit to a 290 sherco , and is the clutch holding tool needed for this? I seem to be hitting a neterual between 2nd and third on occasions which is a nightmare if sitting at the bottom of a steep slope or step and you go nowhere when i drop the clutch! There also seems to be way to much drag on the clutch when sitting in the one spot for a time.... adjustment has been made on the lever which hasnt helped any, will a new clutch kit help this problem also??

thanks in advance for any help guys.

Ian.

Seems like the correct stuff bud. When this happened to mine I took it to a pro to fix near where I live to sort as I knew it`d be too big a job. Took him eight hours and a list of things to sort, cost the thick end of six hundred quid to sort out. The cause ? Being too heavy on the gear lever ! Good luck. I think Copemech is the bloke to speak to on here, sherco guru.

Seems like the correct stuff bud. When this happened to mine I took it to a pro to fix near where I live to sort as I knew it`d be too big a job. Took him eight hours and a list of things to sort, cost the thick end of six hundred quid to sort out. The cause ? Being too heavy on the gear lever ! Good luck. I think Copemech is the bloke to speak to on here, sherco guru.

That sounds a bit extreme for what it is... I wouldnt be spending 600 quid on my bike for something i can repair myself.... its a minor problem that most bikes suffer from ( clutch drag). Main answer im looking for is the clutch a simple enough job to do and do i need a holding tool.. any SHERCO owners help?

I think if the clutch discs have swollen that can cause drag, you can measure the width of the full clutch pack when removed (no need for the clutch holding tool thats for removing the clutch basket). Also make sure the clutch lever is adjusted correctly and bled right first (no air bubbles). Do all the gears run smooth when selected?. I would also check your selector spring which can break on Shercos. Its located behind the clutch basket(holding tool needed) so no need to spit the crankcase. Though i am not sure that's the problem, you can kind of see the selector spring without taking off the clutch basket if you get a torch, check that its not snapped.

hi lewis, aye i think its the plates thats swollen as well or something along these lines, have u got any idea what the plates should mesure up to? all the gears run smooth when riding its just that nuteral between 2nd and 3rd thats p****** me off ... I'll give the spring a check as well when iv got it stripped down. I take it that its just a case of adjust and ride adjust and ride to get the clutch lever set properly?

What age is the bike & check the condition of the fingers in the basket while you've got the plates out. If the basket has grooves from the plates you'll either need to file them out or buy & fit a new basket which along with the rivets & rubber dampers at the same time will cost you about 50quid from splatshop, quite an easy job to do & there is a tutorial on their site in the blog section which explains it well

I would pull it apart before you start replacing parts. The sherco has a piece that mounts to the end of the shift drum. This has roll pins for the shifter actuating arm to catch to rotate the drum. I would inspect this closely before anything else.

How easy is it to fit the complete clutch kit to a 290 sherco , and is the clutch holding tool needed for this? I seem to be hitting a neterual between 2nd and third on occasions which is a nightmare if sitting at the bottom of a steep slope or step and you go nowhere when i drop the clutch! There also seems to be way to much drag on the clutch when sitting in the one spot for a time.... adjustment has been made on the lever which hasnt helped any, will a new clutch kit help this problem also??

thanks in advance for any help guys.

Ian.

Right then lad, I will pass you a few thoughts. First, a clutch pack is easily changed, but unless it is slipping or dragging excessively with lever pulled(still pulling you along) this is probably not needed.

Sounds as though your major problem here is the shifting, or incomplete gear change?

The thing one must understand in a gearbox is twofold. To change ratios and for things to line up properly and engage they must rotate. Stationary shifting from anything but neutral can be less than ideal. It is best if you are rolling slightly when doing the change, in anticipation of the next part of the section where it may be required.

This is often associated with a full lift on the lever and a secondary "click" felt indicating full engagement of the selected cog as these things have to literally slide horizontally till the holes line up and if the holes are not aligned you have just taken yourself out of one gear ant did not find the next. Sometimes this happens quickly at FULL lever travel and not at other times, so one must use care and a bit of FEEL.

This is same for all gearboxes, and typically the Sherco is very robust with extremely few real issues if used properly, yet sloppy shifting can get you in a pinch, or pop out on an incomplete shift.

You are not on a road bike here , so things do not happen the same when you are putting about vs rolling fast and you must keep that in mind.

Hope that helps,

I had a similar problem on a Gasgas with an extra neutral between 2nd and 3rd. It turned out to be the springs on the shift selector. Once I replaced them with the newer stronger springs I never had the problem again. It looks like the Sherco has a similar set-up. I would recommend staring with replacing spings 9 and 12 on this parts breakdown (check to be sure of the correct year and model for your bike). Less than US $10 for the parts.

http://www.nofives.c...arts_s/2031.htm

Edited by thats_a_five

The Sherco clutch is very straight forward to work on. You don't "need" the clutch holding tool to take off the clutch basket - I use an impact gun (air or battery both work), and just leave the majority of the clutch stack in place in the basket to hold it while the impact spins off the center nut. Easy-peasy.