Tl125 Throttle

terry

Anyone know if I can use the stock TL throttle cable with a Domino throttle assembly. Found out the stock throttle tube is $16 and a new entire Domino assembly is $20 so I plan on replacing the whole thing. If I can use the stock cable, will I have to cut it off or anything? Anybody have a alternative solution? It would be nice if I had one laying around where I could try it but I will have to order it before being able to try it out.

Good idea. I can take mine off the TY and try it, forgot about that one. Bob has one and the cable but I'm so cheap I have to try and figure out a free way first. My wife gets suspicious when the UPS keeps dropping off boxes from B&J. I've had three packages in the last month and am expecting another today. This one is a new tire for the TL so any associated heat will be worth it for all that new found traction. I just have to remind her that I got the TL so she could ride with us on the loop!!

I think the dominos come with a setscrew type cable ferrule for the throttle end. You can play with various lengths with that, then just build your own core. Make a solder pot from a 3/4 copper pipe cap, and dip solder, don't use the torch on the cable.

I use bicycle shifter cable because the core is lighter and more flexible, especially for TY80 and similar small carbs. But for the bigger ones too. If I recall, throttle is 1.5 mm diameter and bicycle shifter is 1.2 or 1.3 mm diamter. Seems to work fine in the normal housing.

k

Kevin, that is the answer I needed. I remember having a few of the end peices laying around from other Dominos I have bought but I never really knew how to go about soldering them on a cable. With the copper cap for a dip tank, couldn't I use a propane torch to melt the solder and keep it melted? Excellent solution.......thanks.

foloowing up on that: drill one side of the copper cap and put a long threaded screw through it for handle. Then hold that with a vise grips. Holding the cap directly with pliers sucks off too much heat. Yes, the propane torch melts the solder. The reason for solder dip is that the heat ismuch more carefully controlled, don't risk burning the cables.

Once you have filled the cap with solder, do the job and leave the solder to cool in the copper cap. After that you very rarely have to add solder to cap.

push the ferrule onto the cable then cut the cable. ohterwise the fraying will make it impossible to get it onto the core. Fan it and dip into some liquid acid flux. all the oil must be cleaned out. flux core solder isn't agressive enough. ;Get it all clean, then slide the ferrule out to the end of the core, dip in the molten solder a few seconds, just enough to see it wick up the core, but don't let it wick up very far. You don't want a long stiff unbending part of the core.

stainless core is a bit toughter to work with, but seems to be the same process. get a bag of ferrules a nd practice a bit. easy to do.

Buying a cable is easier, it's just that I work with a lot of old stuff that either is NLA, or is a mix match of domino throttle replacing the original throttles, etc. Once I get the lengths sorted out, I sketch it up, then make the spare cable right away. Oil it up and put in a ziplock back and you are set.

good luck

k

I got the Domino in and had to shorten the stock cable about 1/2" to work. Kevin, the solder pot works. Everything was going smooth until I used Honda grip glue to put on my NEW Renthal grips. Got them on perfect, neat and went back inside. Checked about half hour later and the Honda glue had disolved the ends of the grips!! Talk about disappointed (p****d!!). FYI, use Renthall glue.