Engine Temperature

trialsrfun

I think you answered your own question, if heat flows better from hot to cold, keeping the header cooler will allow the gasses to escape faster.

In other applications like RV exhaust system that were getting too hot on big V 8's coating the header improved cooling and horse power.

I don't know what the result will be, but there is only one way to find out.

My concern is if the heat isn't lost through the header pipe will it end up trying to loose it through the center box and silencer, if so will they get too hot ? again only one way to find out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishy,

Keep an eye on the air box, as I think that would be the first bit to melt,apart from your willie !!!!

Are you talking about the ceramic coating, which is like gloss black pottery ceramic, found it cracks pretty easily. Or the silvery alloy coating, called Jet Hot. This is far more user friendly, but I`m not sure on it`s heat properties.

Think Billy is saying that one of these meters, is what you need.

http://www.lsa.com.au/BM-9.htm

Edited by Howard Wallace

• 2 weeks later...

ceramic coated exhaust pipes are used in drag racing and are starting to be used in motorcycle road racing.

the ceramic basically insulates the external pipe, reducing the rate of temperature transfer. therefore external pipe is cooler, internal gas temperature is maintained.

downside is muffler runs much hotter!!

the theory goes, for four strokes: an engine is basically an air pump, the more air in (ie fuel and air) and the more air out (exhaust) equals more power.

thats why we see cold air boxes to reduce the intake temperature, increases density of intake charge (=more fuel/air). for exhausts opposite is true. the hotter the exhaust, the faster it flows out the pipe. cooling of the exhaust gases allows the gas to increase in density, reduce in volume and hence takes longer to exit pipe.

maintaining exhaust gas temperatures also reduces back pressure in pipe as exhaust gas velocity is maintained.

dont know if there would be any benefits for a two stroke.

ceramic coatings are also very brittle. tend to crack very easily. would not be any good on my bike. it seems to fall over all the time. usually when i am on it!!