Txt Pro Clutch

chris west

Firstly thanks for all your help and support getting this bike up and going . I've got a 2002 txt pro 280 . When engine is cold the clutch is virtually useless, however it does improve when oil temp rises . But still I believe it could be better . Is this normal ... New dot 4 oil and been bleed several times . Thanks guys

Chris, I think you should be using mineral oil in the clutch reservoir and light gear oil in the engine , I use Putoline light gear in my Gasser.

The clutch does drag slightly on tickover on mine also , if it still drags more than you feel acceptable you should examine the wear on the plates inside for ,A new clutch is about 40 quid! if needed

Stay safe

Chris, the clutch pack has to be with in specs. The main measurement is the finger height. There are many videos on this on the net. The clutch on the pro works fine if it is set up correctly. No change of oil or bleeding will fix this.

I had a similar issue with my 2002 and upgraded the clutch to the newer version... As I understand it you need to measure the plates to see if they are in spec if not you have to replace them... I did find that having a properly working clutch made a world of difference :).

edit - just noticed a video where the fellow just sanded the plates down instead of replacing them... I guess they tend to swell a bit over time, mind you mine have been fine since I replaced them 4 years ago.

Edited by michael_t

Just remember just because it is a `new` kit does not mean it is actually the correct specs. Still measure the finger height. If it is a little low, some of the friction pad needs to come off. Our importer here always recommended burning it `in` in fourth gear. (Tire against an obstacle and really abusing the clutch) There is also a video floating around of sanding the friction discs.

• Like 1