Steering Bearings

bondy

hello all why i have my forks off the 199B i took the yokes off to grease the bearings they look worn also they grind abit so i have some off the pymid roller bearings. anybody fited these before? also whats the best methrod to get the botom race and dust cover off the stem? and dose it need the dust cover with this typ off bearing?

I used the taper rollers from Pyramid parts on my Model 49.

Getting the old bottom race off my yoke was a pain. Had to resort to a blow lamp and brute force in the end and made a pair of steel fine wedges to drive in under the dust shield/race As the hole bike was being rebuilt and going for powder coating I wasn't to concerned about the paint. I refitted the bottom dust shield to stay as close too the look of original.But if you need a new one can be got from Bultaco UK.

The only down side to these bearings is the fact that they are slightly taller than standard. So the yokes land up slightly further apart. So the bottom yoke doesn't quite line up on the knurled part of the leg. As can be seen in the photo.

post-2720-0-47556000-1388957171_thumb.jpg

hi mate my forks are being rechromed so the Kurlarld part wont be there. ive only ever took 2 bottom races off before the 1st 1 was a paine i had to do the same with a blow lamp the 2nd came off easy but this 1 is a pain i will need a new dust cover ive mangled it ill have to get the blow lamp on it. ive took abit off paint off i may get them powder coated along with my fork legs cheers.

Hi Bondy, As I mentioned in a previous post/topic I fitted Pyramid taper roler brgs as well when Inmotion didn't have std ball & race in stock. Anyway has been said it was very difficult to get the old bottom cone/race off my M92, I used heat from a stripper gun plus brute force with hide hammer hitting the top of the steering head, not very clever and it could've ended badly! It did come off though. Don't recommend that really - Would do it again differently :) ......also I'd use std. ball & race type not taper brgs.

As an aside, I strated to do the same thing for my vintage Yamaha and when trying to lever the race off the bottom yoke the race just broke in half ! So, it's possible you could just strike the race with a hammer and punch and the hardening+ material may make it quite brittle (but hard)? Might be worth a try? As long as you dont get carried away and at your own risk!

Edited by bleeper

hi bleeper thanks i managed to get it off today wasnt easy i was going to wack the top but thought beter of it didt want to wreck the threads. i have dont this before but only twice ages ago. i couldnt really do it last night as i didnt have any room in the shed so i did it today on 2 blocks off wood. i heated the race up the cover was loose but mangled so i gor a big flat ended drive with a lump hammer and just ket taping it all the way round took a wile had to heat it up a few time but got there in the end i didnt do any real damage just some paint came off but am having them vapor blasted them powder coated

• Like 2

To remove the bottom inner race: make two cuts with a small angle grinder (with 1mm thin cutting disc) opposite to each other, at about 45 degrees in the race as deep as you can/dare, but don't cut to deep so you don't damage the stem.

The heat created by grinding is usually enough to loosen the inner race so you can tap it of the stem with a metal chissel wich is placed in the 45° cut.

If it still won't budge, put the stem flat on the work bench and place the metal chisel in the cut at 90°, hit it with a hammer so the inner race breaks in two pieces.

I've used this technique numerous times at work.

• Like 1

i have done it know mate but thanks. i ham glad i got it off with out any damage apart from the paint but am having them powerder coated any way so its ok. i got there in the end it is easy to damage the threads so i tape mine up then just heated the race up kept taping with a chisel i did mangle the dust cover tho in the process. like i said ive only ever done 2 before 1st 1 was hard 2nd was easy then this 1 hard again i think the heat dose help alot. i will do the same on renewing the race. 1st i will put the stem in the freezer then heat the new race then it should slide on easy my good friend patrick told me this. so cheers patrick :thumbup:

Edited by bondy

Yep they look and feel great don`t they Bondy! I just had mine done as well and I have ridden it now and the seals don`t leak any more. The way they were you would put new seals in and they would leak on the first ride. Ggggrrrr. All is fine in the world now though.

yes they do bullylover i had some done before i cant put mine back together just yet the sliders and yokes are going away to be powder coated next week well the yokes are the sliders are being cleaned then polished for a change. i have new springs waiting. i have cleaned both dampers. i was going to buy new fork caps but theres nothing wrong with the old ones.