Straightening Sump Guard

sherco34

My sumpguard on my sherco is pretty bent and i was wondering if i could straighten it somehow to get a bit more life out of it before i buy a thicker 2013 sump guard? Or are there any cheaper/stronger alternatives to a sherco one? thanks. Its a 125 2012

I straightened the sump guard on my 2000 Sherco with a 3 pound sledge hammer and a couple large wood blocks.

Set the guard on the wood blocks with the section to be straightened in between (like a bridge) and then take the hammer and beat it like it owes you money.

Very theraputic for relieving anger and tension.

• Like 2

The hammer works but you can get more control with a hydraulic press which most garages have

While I do agree with dadof2 about the hydraulic press, which not only gives better control but also is easier on the operators body. I must also state that using the hammer just gives one such a satisfied feeling with each hit.

(if you have access to the press use that, if not a hammer is a very crude but mostly effective way to flatten the sump guard)

A bent skidplate can cause some serious damage to the cases. Mine was curving inwards and the rubber spacer was split. The plate was almost touching the case and could have cracked it. I laid the skidplate on the lawn and hit it a few times with a 16lb sledgehammer and it straightened out.