Older Montesas.

laird387

Hi,

Another 'lost' negative, don't know who but we do know it is in the Red Rose trial, photographed by Barry Robinson.

(My grateful thanks to new member, basecampkid, who recognised Mike Skinner in the 1980 Red Rose and the section is at the top of 'Schoolboy Hill'.)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-04394200-1396852725_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another 'lost' negative, don't know who but we do know we have skipped across the Pennines to the Scott trial, photographed by Barry Robinson.

(Brian Hutchinson at Storthwaite, perce informs us. Thanks for that)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-43985900-1396853589_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi

I absolutely agree with Cleanorbust, it's not the Ilkley GN, (Mr Gordon Farley didn't come north very often).

It is the 1973 Inter Centre Team Trial held that year on Rooley Moor near Rochdale.

Barry was obviously there in his professional capacity.

Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

Just a quick note - Barry was never at any trial in a 'professional capacity', he was and still is, a freelance photojournalist, and attended all the trials to submit photographs just in the hope that they would be used and he could then get paid a small fee for each one used.

Like myself he would often be contacted by T+MX during the week to check where he would be going, and if they didn't already have arrangements made they would ask him to send in a report. Like myself, the income from such activity rarely even covered the cost of the fuel to get there!

It always was a popular misconception that we made money from our sporting coverage - fortunately we were both in full-time employment as electronic engineers so we could afford our sport - like everyone else.

Cheers

Deryk

• Like 1

Hi sparks,

Just a quick note - Barry was never at any trial in a 'professional capacity', he was and still is, a freelance photojournalist, and attended all the trials to submit photographs just in the hope that they would be used and he could then get paid a small fee for each one used.

Like myself he would often be contacted by T+MX during the week to check where he would be going, and if they didn't already have arrangements made they would ask him to send in a report. Like myself, the income from such activity rarely even covered the cost of the fuel to get there!

It always was a popular misconception that we made money from our sporting coverage - fortunately we were both in full-time employment as electronic engineers so we could afford our sport - like everyone else.

Cheers

Deryk

Deryk

Blimey, talk about sense of humour failure.

You're reading far too much into my scribbings.

Perhaps what I should have said was that as the Inter Centre Team Trial was a major

event in the trials calendar it would have been well reported in the press, therefore it would

make sense that Barry would have been there to report and take photos.

Absolutely no reflection on anyone's bank balance was meant.

However, I would say that Barry's work, sorry, I shouldn't have called it work,

let's say output, both with pen and lens, is of professional quality.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Deryk

Blimey, talk about sense of humour failure.

You're reading far too much into my scribbings.

Perhaps what I should have said was that as the Inter Centre Team Trial was a major

event in the trials calendar it would have been well reported in the press, therefore it would

make sense that Barry would have been there to report and take photos.

Absolutely no reflection on anyone's bank balance was meant.

However, I would say that Barry's work, sorry, I shouldn't have called it work,

let's say output, both with pen and lens, is of professional quality.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

You are right - senior moment in the sense of humour department!

Thanks,

Deryk

I recall Malcolm Rathmell saying in a Q & A session before the SSDT some years ago that this bike, the 349, was not one of his favourites and he really needed to be on his mettle to get the best from it. Doesn't it exude that "works" look though!