Looking At A Bike Tomorrow What Should I Know

watch this

Hi all, I'm brand new here so be gentle!

As title says i'm looking at a bike tomorrow a 1978 Sherpa t 350. My question is there any model specific problems I should be looking for, Bearing in mind i'm not completely green I have been around bikes my entire life, I currently ride a 2012 Beta Evo 300 4t and race a Husqvarna SM530RR.

In the past Ive had a go at pretty much everything from MotoX, Enduro, Road Racing, Grass Tracking even a bit of Minimoto!

Frame and swinging arm cracks, particularly near welds. Chrome coming off hub brake surfaces, Loose bearing housing on rear wheel bearing inside brake hub, jumping out of 2nd or 3rd gear under load.

Plus usual off road bike faults

hi mate be carfull its easy to get riped off i first ask are check both frame. and engine numbers match this could reflect the price. i whent looking at 1 and the frame and engine numbers didnt match. looked a nice bike but dont let that fool you. this 1 i went looking at wouldnt even start. there just like any other bike just check wheels run true check forks for leaks pitting chain sprockets any oil leaks make sure all 5 gears select ok aks to have a ride or at least hear it runing for a while.and listen for any rumbels or knocks end of the day there only you can deside weather its worth buyin or is it worth the money. just dont rush into buying 1

yes thats a good point to check the wheel bearings and swing Arm can all cost you money. and you can also knock him down last thing you want is paying the asking price then finding out you have to spend loads on it.

First thing to be sure of is that it is what is says it is - a 1978 model. I've seen plenty of Sherpas advertised incorrectly, some of which are years away from their correct age, fitted with earlier / later components, wrong tank etc. Also, carrying a registration number of a particular year doesn't mean that's the model year. A bike could have been registered late ( I have an Ossa that is T reg which is actually a '75 model)

The only true way to date the chassis / engine is by the number.

A 1978 model should have a frame / engine number whose first 3 digits is 199 (there will be a letter prefix to this) The engine / frame number would have matched from new but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. Anything could have happened in the 30 odd year life of the bike, replacement engine etc. However, you'd still want the engine to be from the correct model range, therefore it should begin 199.

At the end of '78 the next model was introduced. The first 3 numbers were still 199 but the number now ended with an 'A' suffix to both engine and frame

So a '78 bike could be either of these.

The first model 199 was red tank, side panels and mudguards with a silver frame. The second, with the 'A' suffix was blue frame, guards, tank and side panels. The A model also had the frame tubes under the engine removed and replaced with an alloy bash plate. In 30 odd years though, someone could have changed the colours and quite often, the blue frame of the A is painted white to make it look like the last model Sherpa that Bultaco produced in '81 - another 199 but this time with a suffix of B

If the frame or engine number begins 198 it is a 250 not a 350. The 350 is actually 325cc although you can get them out to 350cc with oversize pistons.

Other than that, advice is as per above and the usual things to look for on old dirt bikes. The bonus of a Bultaco is that they are very well supported for spares by Bultaco UK and that just about anything is available, although engine rebuilds can be a bit pricey now due to 350 pistons being upwards of about £170.

If the chrome has come off the brake hubs, relining is necessary which is about £40 per hub but this means stripping and rebuilding the wheels to get it done.

What's the asking price?

Model 199

post-71-0-07774700-1389650410_thumb.jpg

Model 199A

post-71-0-40093300-1389650447_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Woody your a legend! and I will be picking your brain in the future, I am a proud owner of a model 199 it has been sat in a shed for the last 26 years and is clean as! will post photos soon.

No problem, glad to help, there are plenty of people on here that can help with Bultaco questions.

Sounds like a good buy, glad it was at least what it was supposed to be.

Pleased you got your bike, good luck with her.

Should the chrome brake drum surfaces be coming away they can be replaced with a liner without dismantling the wheel.

Paul Jackson provides this service, he is based near Huddersfield and has repaired many Bultaco hub's as well as countless other makes where the liner has cracked away due to water ingress between it and the alloy of the hub.

Check the carb condition, if it still has the Bing fitted you can get a Mikuni 26mm replacement which is a better bet due to the high cost of Bing parts should it be necessary.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

Hi Trialsrfun

I need my hubs on my 199A relined, I have found Paul Jackson Outlane Engineering ? address but can not find a phone number could you send me his number please

BR

I have a base not far from Manchester so Hudderfield is very handy

Hi watch this i had a 198 from new i still think the red and silver ones are the best looking bikes bultaco made

Edited by bultacorock

Hi Trialsrfun

I need my hubs on my 199A relined, I have found Paul Jackson Outlane Engineering ? address but can not find a phone number could you send me his number please

BR

I have a base not far from Manchester so Hudderfield is very handy

Hi watch this i had a 198 from new i still think the red and silver ones are the best looking bikes bultaco made

Message sent to you

• Like 1