Strange Noise On Kick!?!?

blackpoolsherco

I don't think there is a fix, it is down to how you engage the kickstart lever before you give it the big boot! when you first move the kickstart into kicking position it moves a gear out to engage with another gear thar rotates everything to tgurn the engine over, if these gears are not fully or correctly engaged I would guess that the snapping noise you are hearing is the gears slipping into their correct positions.

Any Sherco experts care to chime in?

• Like 1

It is possible that the kick start gears are damaged and what's been heard is the slippage as a result.

What's you kicking style like? Some people pop the kicker out and kick down on it straight away, which causes the damage. Light pressure should be applied first to get all the cogs engaging.

Which type of starter are you. If your the take up the slack and engage all the cogs first type then you should have nothing to worry about, and the noise is most likely what canada280i suggests.

If your the other type, you might want to have a look in. Have your recently drained the oil and found any metal swathe?

• Like 1

I don't think there is a fix, it is down to how you engage the kickstart lever before you give it the big boot! when you first move the kickstart into kicking position it moves a gear out to engage with another gear thar rotates everything to tgurn the engine over, if these gears are not fully or correctly engaged I would guess that the snapping noise you are hearing is the gears slipping into their correct positions.

Any Sherco experts care to chime in?

I think you are very correct, sir!

I would suggest, as others have, that there is maybe a slight amount of wear on the engaging gears, so when they don't lock in 100% or it lands on the damaged/worn gear, you go to kick and you hear a crack as it jumps to the next gear. Not too big a deal just try to ensure you take the bike to top dead before you give it the big kick, this may help to get the gear to engage properly, and may also help the starting process. :thumbup:

Edited by cactusjack