290 Essentials...

elliotsdaddy

Hello fellow owners.

I have recently become the proud owner of a 2007 Sherco (obviously) 290.

Now, I have never owned a trial bike before and I am unsure as to the essentials that need to be carried out with regards maintenance etc.

I'm after advice really on things like...how often to change the air filter? what fuel-oil ratio to use? What pre/post ride checks/maintenance need to be done? tyre pressures, stuff like that.

I'd like to know all the things that an experienced rider would do without really thinking about it.

Any advice, tips or recommendations are welcome. :)

Thanks,

Chris.

Give the air filter a good clean and oil, but not over oil.

Not sure how much gear oil is in the 07 model but mine is 500mil but usually put in around the 450 mark

60-70mil of two stroke oil per 5 litre petrol can ( try and use good petrol Shell vamx or the BP equivalent)

6 in the front and 4 in the back for tyres unless it's a minging muddy ole day and go 5 and 3

Generally go round checking the bolts/nuts are tightened as they have a habbit of coming loose.

Sure there is much more to do but canny think at the moment but others with far more knowledge than me will be along soon enough to keep you right.

http://www.lewisportusa.com/manuals/sherc_11-21-09/sherco_setup_and_lubrication_guide.pdf

• Clean carb, airfilter and maybe airbox. Its best to make sure all three of these things are dirt free with the airfilter oiled correctly.
  • Are the fork seals leaking?
  • Do the stem bearings feel smooth?
  • WD40 all moving parts regularly (kickstart, gear lever, pegs, chain etc)
  • Any major play in the rear suspension linkage? A strip, clean and grease can help.
  • Clean and lightly oil the throttle, make sure the throttle pings back when released.
  • Do the brake lock up easily?
  • Everything tight?
Edited by lewis cosgrove

80 ML OF GOOD SYNTHETIC OIL TO 5 LTRS OF FUEL!!

450ml of gear oil changed regularly ....

check nuts and bolts regularly

clean carb every couple of outings

drain water from airbox / clean air filter

it goes on and on .......

"it goes on and on" :agreed: ..................................... :crying:

I have to say I think 80ml is far too much oil per 5lt for trials bikes. Fine if you're doing road trials but in the main you'll not burn off the excess oil that will build up just pottering around at a local trial.

Well there is a lot of great advice there so far chaps so thanks.

I've got a fair bit more of an idea than I had.

Good reading here!

http://www.shercousa.com/?action=6

.....and another one, thank you copemech.

One question though, I see a lot of people debating the oil ratio issue. Some say 80:1 some 70:1 etc....what exactly would be the difference between a bike running 80:1 and a bike running say 60:1?

Would it just be a case of the higher the ratio of oil the more the bike would smoke and feel slightly sluggish?

You really aren't going to feel the difference between 50:1 to 80:1.

There is no universal ratio for every bike, it depends on how you ride.

Are you mostly just putting about? 70:1 / 80:1 will be fine.

Riding fast in high gears a lot? The factory recommended 50:1 will give you peace of mind.

Anywhere from 50:1 to 80:1 will do for any circumstance though. Just pick what you think is most suited.

Here's a link that goes into detail.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/48320-oil-mixture/

Edited by lewis cosgrove