The Way It Was.....

laird387

Hi, monty_jon,

I most certainly don't think that - but I do know that, compared to way back when, the number of places that one can happily practice without interference from the environmentalists, green lobby, irate ramblers and assorted other NIMBYs has certainly been decimated.

For example, one of the areas we used to use when I first started riding has now been landscaped, re-engineered and turned into the most exclusive and expensive golf course in the county.

Secondly, I have been involved at national level, in my time, as a member of committees dedicated to keeping access available for motor sport, so I do know a little about the behind the scenes action - as well as helping your own club, on occasions.

Please remember - I am not criticising, merely trying to help explain for those interested in the way our sport has developed.

Enjoy.

Hi, monty_jon,

I most certainly don't think that - but I do know that, compared to way back when, the number of places that one can happily practice without interference from the environmentalists, green lobby, irate ramblers and assorted other NIMBYs has certainly been decimated.

For example, one of the areas we used to use when I first started riding has now been landscaped, re-engineered and turned into the most exclusive and expensive golf course in the county.

Secondly, I have been involved at national level, in my time, as a member of committees dedicated to keeping access available for motor sport, so I do know a little about the behind the scenes action - as well as helping your own club, on occasions.

Please remember - I am not criticising, merely trying to help explain for those interested in the way our sport has developed.

Enjoy.

:agreed:

Its hard to find anywhere to practice now, without breaking the law

And nobody seems willing to give you permission in case they end up getting sued

• Like 1

Hi,

Another image that helps to tell the story of 'how it was'.

This interesting group of trials riders in the North Cotswolds were practising together on a piece of ground above Larkstoke, where they often went - without problems.

Back in 1962 growing up in Harlow (New Town) my pals dad had an Ariel 'Square Four' he had adapted for trials, the company he worked for, Key Glass had a waste piece of rough land beside the factory, they set up a Sports club and allowed local riders to use the area to practice. I learnt to ride there on a Tiger Cub at 9 years old. It became United Glass and they sold off the land for development. We then had to travel to Aveley sand pits to practice, free of charge. That was 'how it was' not like nowadays a fee to register and £10-20 per ride!

A similar experience - the old sand and gravel quarry that backed onto my primary school where Arthur Browning used to practise in the 60s on his scramblers. We were too young to be allowed there but a few years later we used to pushbike over there and watch Arthur practise trials on his homerlite Bultaco. It's what got us started and that old quarry spawned about three generations of trials and motocross riders before it fell to development. It's now a 9 hole golf course on one side of the road, and a nature reserve on the other.

We used to practise weekends and evenings and at times there could be around 30 bikes over there. Bunny Ward ran a trial there once. A handful of our sections are still there 40 years later, in the small areas on the outskirts that went undeveloped. I drive past a few of them every day, but sadly now out of bounds.

Such happy days spent on that old ground, right in the middle of Birmingham...

I was going to attach a photo but the attach function isn't there.

• Like 1