Help... Will Not Idle

99stewby

Hi all after same routine maintenance work on the bike it will now not idle although rides ok otherwise, so you should know all the details so please bear with me.

Well, the story goes like this. Whilst the weathers been crap I thought id do all the routine maintenance on the bike all at once. So i drained the oil, coolant and fuel, the bike stood with no fluids in it for about a week. I cleaned the carb quite thoroughly and cleaned out the air box. Removed the stator cover and give a wipe out (i heard they can get some condensation inside there) and was also not refitted for about a week. Did all the other bits such as grease bearings/ throttle tube, cleaned apds etc. Anyway, put it all back together, fresh coolant, fresh oil, new air filter, new plug (BP5ES although my old one was a BPR5ES) gapped to 0.5. The airbox was a pain to get back on, had to lever it forward a bit to get the screws in which has squished up the inlet manifold between and airbox and carb a bit, carb is sat correctly and all the way on the manifolds. Cleaned the fuel tank and added fresh fuel (68ml to 5L). The bike started fine on choke and seemed ok for a few minutes then idle began to drop, kept it running by gently revving and took it for a tootle round the yard. Rides fine but wanting to die when dropping to idle. when it had warmed up gave it a couple of high revs to try clear it out but still the same.

So... Any ideas?

Sorry for war and peace!!

Thanks

Ahh, I cleaned the carb and took all jets out but did not touch the screws...

The mixture screw is set to stock (3 turns out) this is how it was running previously, adjusting the idle doesn't seem to help unless its turned right up and then idles at about 4k!! turn it down any lower and just seems to die.

The filter was a jitsie pre-oiled one which to be honest i haven't used before.

thanks for the reply

sounds like slow running jet is blocked or the slow running circuit is fouled remove carb and clean out again ,it is best to adjust air screw until it runs nice i mean stock does not take into account air temperature humidity or altitude as this is obviously different for everyone

Take the carb off again and re clean. You need to remove the mixture screw to properly clean the pilot circuit. Blast through with carb cleaner and blow through with an air line. If you don't have compressed air then take a short piece of fuel breather pipe and insert one end in your foot pump and hold the other piece over the parts of the carb you need to clear then get busy with your foot.

It sounds like you have a carb blockage in the pilot circuit, It's easily caused by only half cleaning a carb and pushing dirt back through the system.

Make sure you remove the choke plunger and give the circuit a good clean out as a blockage here will affect the bike even after it is warm and the choke is turned off.

Secondly make sure you have re assembled the carb properly, even the experienced ones have been known to leave the pilot jet in a pot!

Hi

you do need to remove the mixture screw to clean carb properly, most likely you have just moved some dirt around.

the screw will need to be set to best position when engine is warmed up. Don't get hung up on 3 turns out, adjust

it to what is best for your bike.

TLTEL

Well I've got to say thanks for the advise guys.

I pulled off the carb and stripped it down, properly this time. Now i don't know how the hell it got in there but i found a piece of fluff stuck in the pilot jet itself... This is one of the parts i did clean out originally with carb cleaner and compressed air!! Anyway I cleaned it out again and the rest of the carb fully and refitted. Hey-presto! Its running spot on!

Thanks again for the help.