Biking In The Mud

terrarapta

This is another short video i made with my friend ben leach but we only managed to film for about an hour and a half as it was chucking it down with rain. If you enjoyed this video please check out the other videos on my channel. Please show your support by leaving a like. Please ignore the intro

Edited by terrarapta
  • Like 2

Haha thanks! Glad too hear you liked the video. i think i got the right music and just about managed to balance that and the bike volume perfectly. just out of interest do you like the look of the camera flying that ive been trying to achieve or not? any other tips on how i could improve the video are very welcome!! thanks :)

Haha thanks! Glad too hear you liked the video. i think i got the right music and just about managed to balance that and the bike volume perfectly. just out of interest do you like the look of the camera flying that ive been trying to achieve or not? any other tips on how i could improve the video are very welcome!! thanks :)

I too thought you did a great job picking & editing the music! And you did a great job of not having it too loud. I personally like to hear what the bike is doing, and like to hear the engine. The music (my opinion here......) should just be "background" sounds..... Good job editing the deal too, Terrarapta!

Ben, you're ridin' was good! It looked like tough riding in the muck; you're doing just fine, Young Man!

Jimmie

• Like 1

Hmmm. Well, I'm defintely no "expert film critic", ain't good at editing, am rather ugly & stupid, and crash my bike a lot. So my opinion on editing is pretty much worthless....... But here's my take on it anyway:

I liked the "angles" you used to film it. I don't understand exactly what you mean by "flying", but look above here. I already stated I was stupid. Anyway, I normally notice things with vids that I don't like, and there really wasn't anything in yours that I didn't like.

So, for what this is worth, I felt you did a good job, Tom. Way better than I personally could. Heck, I'm certain there are plants in gardens that could edit better than I.....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

• 1 month later...

Terarapta and Ben,

the video looked good. Gotta love riding in the mud.

My video experience is pure amateur and my editing skills are nonexistent. I have learned some things from years of still cam shooting and some recent playing around with GoPro and similar cams.

I assume the "flying" you are talking about is the movement of the camera to follow the rider. I liked that. Nice smooth movement.

Looking up and down hills always makes them look flat. If you can avoid aiming the cam up or down you will get a much better showing of the steepness. Sometimes, just hold the cam still and let the rider come up into the frame and move up and out the top gives some vertical perspective.

Try getting part way up the hill and shoot across the hill. You can even "cheat" a little by tilting the cam to the side, making the hill look even steeper. Getting back from the track and using telephoto can give you a longer view of the uphill from the side.

Recently, I shot some video holding the camera close to the ground and having the bike almost ride over it. Hold the cam still and let the rider pass. For example, when Ben was riding over the logs, you put the cam down on the logs and let him ride over it. Those can be cool clips to edit into some of the longer pieces.

We also did some videos where the camera watched a rider go through a section, then use a helmet or chest mount to ride the same section. Editing those one after another tells a story of the same section from both the observer and rider perspective.

I must admit, I am not a big fan of music added to the vids. I prefer to hear the bike. Whenever I hear heavy metal added to a video, I usually mute the speaker. I know, I am an old fuddy duddy. :wall:

Keep trying new things. You are doing a good job already. Add some different angles and techniques and your vids will be world class.

Great job!