Bless Me........

elliotsdaddy

........trials community, since today was the first time on the bike in 3 weeks!

It was all going so well...building up confidence, riding over really really short tree stumps. :)

I thought it would be wise to get a feel for how the bike reacts when going over stuff on the sump guard. Also I was having a go at blipping the throttle over things to 'pop' off rather than 'drop' off.

One thing though that really frustrated me was after getting up close and personal with mother nature, and attempting to kick the bike, it just would not start.

I seem to have trouble starting the bike anyway, I just get too excited, but is it possible for a bike to flood with fuel when on it's side? It took me ages (30min) to get it going.

I am assuming that fuel only goes in when the bike is running so I'm confused as to why it took so long to start.

Any ideas?

Oh, it's a Sherco 290.....didn't want to post in the 'Sherco' section as it's a general bike query, so no abuse please...oh go on then, just a little, but keep it clean. :)

Chris.

I'd imagine your post will bring you some various replies but one that always worked for me when the bike had been on its side ( or upside down for that matter ) was to hold the throttle wide open and give the bike a couple of kicks. If it has flooded "due to an off" then opening the throttle fully will allow more air to enter the carb / engine and usually does the trick.

If the bike has been on its side the carb can flood. the flow of fuel into the carb bowl is controlled by the float, when the bike is on its side the float can't float and so fuel can flood in.

Try holding the throttle fully open when you are kicking it over.

No fuel goes to the carb because of gravity. The float valve is supposed to shut off the supply but this isnt effective if the bike is on its side. Excess fuel then runs through the jets and can flood the engine with petrol.

Oooooo ta very much chaps....that kind of makes sense to my non-mechanical brain.

I even started to doubt the fuel tap position, haha, glad to know I was on the right lines.

I'll give that wide open throttle trick a go next time, 'cause i'm pretty sure another off is on the cards....not sure about being upside down though lesteregg2005, but I'll have a go. :)

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Save yourself a lot of effort (and time) if it's flooded, carry a plug spanner somewhere on the bike or your person, whip out the spark plug and kick it over with the throttle closed (make sure the ht lead is out of the way) dry the plug. The excess fuel should evaporate whilst your kicking it over, which is easy due to no compression, put the dry plug back in and it should start with a couple of kicks !

I would probably replace the spark plug anyway at this stage. If it hasn't been done and the bike has flooded a couple of times you may find it has weak spark and that is causing your difficulty to start. Also, rather than just kicking at the starter, try to time it a little better. Kick it over slowly until it reaches top dead centre (when the kick gets it's hardest to push), then resting on the kicker, give one big effort with a little tiny bit of throttle. If you can get the timing right it will start basically every time, as long as mechanically everything is fine. :thumbup:

Lots of good advice there chaps, thanks very much. :)

The spark plug ideas are definately worth a try.

It's frustrating how obvious these little issues are to most, but somewhat less obvious to a newbie. All part of the learning curve I suppose.

Thanks again fellow trial riders......you really are a helpful lot. :)

Chris.